Blofeld

The Enclosure Thread

189 posts in this topic

Thanks opentoe.  Your post made me look and call in for my $5 credit.  I ordered it Monday and it showed up today.

Hi there!

I've finally got my box running (you can see the specs in sign), but it ended up being placed in my main room. I didn't notice before the LianLi noise... Any other Q25 owner has some tips?

I'm planning to substitute both fans, I've a Noctua laying around plus a badass Scythe, but since it'a bit of pain.. I'd like to get and advice before a blind test.

Thanks all!

Marco

Hi there!

I've finally got my box running (you can see the specs in sign), but it ended up being placed in my main room. I didn't notice before the LianLi noise... Any other Q25 owner has some tips?

I'm planning to substitute both fans, I've a Noctua laying around plus a badass Scythe, but since it'a bit of pain.. I'd like to get and advice before a blind test.

Thanks all!

Marco

Hey there!

I'm actually in the process of planning my first unRAID build and am currently trying to decide on some form of SFF case.

I originally was looking at a Fractal Design Node 804 as I liked that it can fit 10 drives and the aesthetics would allow it to blend in nicely in my apartment. However it has no hot swaps and I keep looking at that PC-Q25 but as always I'm indecisive.

What is it like to build in? Would you recommend it for a first time build just looking for around 5-6 drives all up :)

As you stated about noise that was one of my main concerns when I was looking at the PC-Q25 but I'm sure with some decent fans it'd be much quieter?

Any advice from your experiences with the case would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,

James

My PC-Q25B sits on a shelf about 5 ft away from my ears when I'm sitting at my desk -- and I can NOT hear it at all.  If fact, I can't tell if it's on or not without looking at it.

I suppose it may depend on the noise level of the drive you've got installed; and there may be some variance in the fans they provide, but it's still what I consider the best of the mini-ITX case choices.    In any event, it's not at all difficult to swap the fan if you should decide you need something quieter.

It's very easy to build in as long as you use an SFX power supply.

Hi there!

Thanks all!

Marco

Hi,

You might want to consider the fans (with a fan speed controller most probably), and soundproofing. That's what I had to do with my Unraid server AND the Zalman media PC to have them in the living room. Eventually moved the server to another room, but for aesthetic reasons, not noise.

Good luck!

Tnx all for help!

Well, I did some more tests, pledged a full morning of shopping :D to have the NAS running almost stripped down and... damn, the disks! The Reds emits a whisper, but those disks I gathered around, a pair of 250Gb Seagates Barracuda ES and a genuine 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1, are really loud when spun, more when writing or reading. So, I'm planning to get a cheap (even used Green Drive for cache and keep a SSD for VMs...

Hey there!

I'm actually in the process of planning my first unRAID build and am currently trying to decide on some form of SFF case.

I originally was looking at a Fractal Design Node 804 as I liked that it can fit 10 drives and the aesthetics would allow it to blend in nicely in my apartment. However it has no hot swaps and I keep looking at that PC-Q25 but as always I'm indecisive.

What is it like to build in? Would you recommend it for a first time build just looking for around 5-6 drives all up :)

As you stated about noise that was one of my main concerns when I was looking at the PC-Q25 but I'm sure with some decent fans it'd be much quieter?

Any advice from your experiences with the case would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,

James

Hi James!

Well, building up the PC-Q25 was easy as mostly say! Stock fans aren't so bad, I'm keeping them a 7V and are really inudible. Anyway, I came across some Scythe fans I bough for main build (it's watercooled but I had a fan swapping fever! :D) so I'll try them on while the NAS is running cabriolet.

I can advise that if you are willing to put up some VMs as SteamOS, or even Windows or OSX, mATX form factor could be a nice choice - you can have two GPUs, not bad! :) So the Node 804 could be a bingo. And, about hot swapping, I admit I used it just once... so, I can't statue I need it.

My PC-Q25B sits on a shelf about 5 ft away from my ears when I'm sitting at my desk -- and I can NOT hear it at all.  If fact, I can't tell if it's on or not without looking at it.

I suppose it may depend on the noise level of the drive you've got installed; and there may be some variance in the fans they provide, but it's still what I consider the best of the mini-ITX case choices.    In any event, it's not at all difficult to swap the fan if you should decide you need something quieter.

It's very easy to build in as long as you use an SFX power supply.

You got it! Thanks, your reply put me in the right way: testing drives, before fans. I'm looking for Platinum or Gold SFX, but it seems quite difficult to find it at a reasonable price even used. Time to save up for it...! :)

BTW, my wife argued the Q is black and our furniter is white... and I should get a white case. Maybe in a Node 304 I won't need an SFX...mmm...

Hi,

You might want to consider the fans (with a fan speed controller most probably), and soundproofing. That's what I had to do with my Unraid server AND the Zalman media PC to have them in the living room. Eventually moved the server to another room, but for aesthetic reasons, not noise.

Good luck!

I'm buying an Aquaero PowerAdjust to keep the fans quiet and temperature controlled. I don't think I'll put some dampening on the LianLi, since it's the upper shelf on my living room and... I don't want to ruin it. :P

Hello guys,

I'm in the process of creating a new unRAID PC, I've been searching a lot and trying to adjust to Europe options when it comes down to rack mount cases. I've found this one http://inter-tech.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1139%3Aipc-4u-4410&catid=136%3A4u-storage-gehaeuse&Itemid=961〈=en which seems pretty good for my needs. HOWEVER it has a note in the product's description:

By use in combination with an Intel Onboard SATA-Controller the Controller has to be set to Raid-Mode (Hot-Plug will be set automatically) or every port separately to Hot-Plug/ external Port (depends on your Bios). If these settings are not available in your Bios, maybe an error-free use is only possible by using an additional SATA-Controller.

Is normal to change this setting in BIOS in these hot swap cases? is this going to create problems with unRAID?. Thanks a lot for any info

*Image of the actual case

2XRZVMze+

I am looking for a large 20+ drive enclosure with front access but cannot seem to find anything that is available in Canada. My top choices are:

1. Lian Li PC-343B

2. IPC 4U-4424 http://inter-tech.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=867%3Aipc-4u-4424&catid=136%3A4u-storage-gehaeuse&Itemid=755〈=en

Unfortunately the Lian Li is not available any more and the IPC does not seem to be available in Canada.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an enclosure like those 2 that is easy to get? Even better does anyone in the Ontario/Up State NY area have a Lian Li PC-343B for sale :)

Norco 4220  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219033

Norco 4224 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219038&cm_re=norco_4224-_-11-219-038-_-Product

Or even better, buy one via Newegg.com and ship it to a warehouse in Buffalo / NF, pay the $5 receiving fee and drive it across the border yourself and save a ton of $$

I use a Rosewill RSV-L4000. It's cheap, black, fits in the rack, and with the drive cages has 8 fans. Temperature is my big thing. A cool machine runs forever. 

Posted (edited)

Hello!

im looking a case for my new unraid built.

Right now i have 8 Disks (6 data, 2 parity) and every year, i would add another 1 disk.

maybe later i will move to bigger disks..

Im looking for a case that can take at least 10 disks (ideal 12-15 disks, in any placement 5,25, 3in5 cage etc) looks good (simple lines) and not so nosy.

An ideal case may be the Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 rev.b but its way too expensive (220€+) and way too HUGE!

I dont need the 3in5 cages, because is expensive and i don't need to swap drives, only when a disk dies.

Im aware about the Fractal design R5 and the Define XL R2 but both cases are 4 years+ old, and my guess is that in the next months,

they will release new models. if anyone has any info about release days, please share it here.

But i would like other options and alternatives, could you please recommend me some other cases?

Budget ~180€.. (for 220€ i can take the huge Deep Silence 6 rev.)

thank you!

Edited by volume

3 hours ago, volume said:

Hello!

im looking a case for my new unraid built.

Right now i have 8 Disks (6 data, 2 parity) and every year, i would add another 1 disk.

maybe later i will move to bigger disks..

Im looking for a case that can take at least 10 disks (ideal 12-15 disks, in any placement 5,25, 3in5 cage etc) looks good (simple lines) and not so nosy.

An ideal case may be the Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 rev.b but its way too expensive (220€+) and way too HUGE!

I dont need the 3in5 cages, because is expensive and i don't need to swap drives, only when a disk dies.

Im aware about the Fractal design R5 and the Define XL R2 but both cases are 4 years+ old, and my guess is that in the next months,

they will release new models. if anyone has any info about release days, please share it here.

But i would like other options and alternatives, could you please recommend me some other cases?

Budget ~180€.. (for 220€ i can take the huge Deep Silence 6 rev.)

thank you!

Look at the Antec 900 (or similar case with 9 5.25" slots in the front), and install 3 SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B 5in3 drive cages. That would give 15 hot swap drive slots. This would make it incredibly easy to add and replace drives over time without risking knocking cables loose, which is the most common problem users have.