• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BJP999

I Love the new features of MyMain!!

I think i found a bug though when adding the HPA status to one of my views.

After adding it to the adhoc view, i got an error of Unknown column name HPA

After viewing myMain.conf and myMain_local.conf, i think i found the source of the error.

In myMain.conf

Around Line 501

LoadColDoc(HPA,                    "Host protected area (HPA) indication")

and

In myMain_local.conf

SetView(adhoc, 01000001, "_staticon disk HPA")

I changed HPA in those 2 lines / files, to hpa and now it works as it should.

Thanks so much for a Great plugin!!

Gary

Hi all,

just a quick question, how do I set the drive attribute hpa_ok to 1?

I have a 30G Kingston ssd as part of the array (disk20) that is showing up as HPA?

I assume it has to do with the spare area set aside by ssds not HPA

Thanks Josh

PS: Also noticed that if I try to change the manufacturer name from unknown to Kingston for example and then hit save, it doesn't stick unless I do it again in the same window.

Don't know it it has to do with the mymain_local.conf as that is the only file that doesn't get updated when I update unmenu.

I had thought of multiple ways of showing HPA information, but opted to add it to the existing status icon field so it would be immediately evident.  I had forgotten to remove the "hpa" as a field, but since you are using it, I will leave it there.  I will fix the case issue in the next release.  

To add "hpa_ok", open up the drive attribute windows for the drive, and under where it says "Other Notes", enter "hpa_ok" (no quotes).  To the right specify the value "1" (again, no quotes).  Click save. Then refresh your myMain view.  The HPA warning should be gone.

The reason that the manufacturer takes two saves is because it is passed on the query string + it gets sent based on what you enter in the field.  (In other words, both values are sent back when you click save, and the wrong one wins out).  After the save the query string value is gone, so only the one entered in the field is sent back.  I will fix in the next version.

Thanks for the feeback!  Let me know if any other issues.

I had thought of multiple ways of showing HPA information, but opted to add it to the existing status icon field so it would be immediately evident.  I had forgotten to remove the "hpa" as a field, but since you are using it, I will leave it there.  I will fix the case issue in the next release.

Thats ok. I didn't realize it was only supposed to show up if you did in fact have a drive with HPA detected. You can remove the "hpa" as a field.

I thought it was like some of the other customizations where you were added it to one of the specified views.

Joe L posted a pic here and i totally missed it reading through the thread  ::) ...

otf2ht.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have made a few bug fixes / updates for new versions to myMain:

1 - sda preclear status not showing

2 - myMain showing 3T drives as having an HPA

3 - Divide by zero issue with 5.0b8

You can copy the three files to your unmenu directory to test these out.

Please let me know if you have any problems with these updates.

Joe L., please add these to the standard distribution (Thanks!)

myMain Update 7-10-11

I have made a few bug fixes / updates for new versions to myMain:

1 - sda preclear status not showing

2 - myMain showing 3T drives as having an HPA

3 - Divide by zero issue with 5.0b8

You can copy the three files to your unmenu directory to test these out.

Please let me know if you have any problems with these updates.

Joe L., please add these to the standard distribution (Thanks!)

myMain Update 7-10-11

sda issue fixed with this update - thanks!

1) read speed seems to be different between MyMenu (85MB/s) and actual preclear (56MB/s) - see 2 attachments, sdc for example ... note: when preclear went to step 2 (zeroing), the MB/s were correct ... perhaps only a problem when doing read phase??;

2) are the colours of each line in MyMenu (first attachment) correct?

3.JPG.23cb350f15ccb95dc87e837e5b549e72.JPG

5.gif.1afdafe5be7994197c7bc366f5ea19aa.gif

1.  Please send me a full screenshot

2.  Explain what you were doing - are you preclearing a ton of disks at the same time?

3.  I need a copy of all of the files in the /tmp directory (let me know if you need instructions to do this)

1.  Please send me a full screenshot

2.  Explain what you were doing - are you preclearing a ton of disks at the same time?

3.  I need a copy of all of the files in the /tmp directory (let me know if you need instructions to do this)

Sent you a PM. Yes I'm preclearing 22 x 3TB hitachi green drives.

I can confirm that read speeds during a preclear (both pre-read and post-read steps) are not being correctly displayed in MyMain.  Most of my drives show the correct read speed (all hanging off the same sas controller - don't know if that's a factor or not), but the 2 drives (hanging off the motherboard) are showing read speeds such as 58MB/s when in fact the preclear shows them at 115MB/s.

The preclear script is showing the read speed from the "dd" command being invoked from within preclear. This is not an accurate measure of the true preclear speed. I need to review the code to remember exactly how the speed is calculated, but it may turn out to be a truer measure of overall speed than preclear itself is showing. Note that preclears final report does show accurate composite speed info).

I'll look at this tonight to give more info.

Based on a quick look in the code, myMain is displaying a calculated read speed by taking the number of bytes read from the beginning of the preread, and dividing by the number seconds from the beginning of the preread.  This will provide a cumulative speed measure.  As I said, the preclear "GUI" displays the speed of the most recent dd only (~8G), omitting some randomized I/O that preclear does, as well as the other functions preclear does (sending emails, writing tmp files, etc.).  The calculation was already beeing done in preclear, and used in sending emails and producing the final report.  I just chose to display it rather than the instantaneous speed of the dd.  I may reassess if this is confusing.

None of this affects the proper functioning of preclear.

Based on a quick look in the code, myMain is displaying a calculated read speed by taking the number of bytes read from the beginning of the preread, and dividing by the number seconds from the beginning of the preread.  This will provide a cumulative speed measure.  As I said, the preclear "GUI" displays the speed of the most recent dd only (~8G), omitting some randomized I/O that preclear does, as well as the other functions preclear does (sending emails, writing tmp files, etc.).  The calculation was already beeing done in preclear, and used in sending emails and producing the final report.  I just chose to display it rather than the instantaneous speed of the dd.  I may reassess if this is confusing.

None of this affects the proper functioning of preclear.

Ok, good to know.  I wasn't worried about it, but just thought you (the author) might like the feedback - cheers!

The preclear script is showing the read speed from the "dd" command being invoked from within preclear. This is not an accurate measure of the true preclear speed.

But it is a direct indication of how fast the drive can be read by the OS.  For that, it is still useful as there have been many reports of drives working at half the speed of identical drives, and showing no other outward symptoms other than slower performance.  In most PCs, you would never know the difference.

Joe L.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding the 7-10-11 update and myMain showing 3T drives as having an HPA

I have installed the 7-10-11 update and rebooted the array. I have a Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 3T drive that is showing hpa on the myMain web page. This drive is my new parity drive. It is located at /dev/sdg. I am using unRaid 5beta10. The 3T drive is plugged into the on-board controller of an Asus Maximus Extreme motherboard.

Disk Information:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model: Hitachi HDS723030ALA640

Serial Number: MK0311YHG4GDWA

Firmware Version: MKAOA3B0

User Capacity: 3,000,592,982,016 bytes

Device is: Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is: 8

ATA Standard is: ATA-8-ACS revision 4

Local Time is: Tue Aug 2 20:14:22 2011 EDT

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

root@Tower1:/# hdparm -N /dev/sdg

/dev/sdg:

max sectors  = 5860533168/5860533168, HPA is disabled

Do you need more data?

Regarding the 7-10-11 update and myMain showing 3T drives as having an HPA

I have installed the 7-10-11 update and rebooted the array. I have a Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 3T drive that is showing hpa on the myMain web page. This drive is my new parity drive. It is located at /dev/sdg. I am using unRaid 5beta10. The 3T drive is plugged into the on-board controller of an Asus Maximus Extreme motherboard.

Disk Information:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model: Hitachi HDS723030ALA640

Serial Number: MK0311YHG4GDWA

Firmware Version: MKAOA3B0

User Capacity: 3,000,592,982,016 bytes

Device is: Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is: 8

ATA Standard is: ATA-8-ACS revision 4

Local Time is: Tue Aug 2 20:14:22 2011 EDT

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

root@Tower1:/# hdparm -N /dev/sdg

/dev/sdg:

max sectors   = 5860533168/5860533168, HPA is disabled

Do you need more data?

Are you sure you replaced the myMain.conf file in your unmenu directory?  Make sure not to open or save the file in a text editor.

If you go to the "details" view, verify the disk size in K for your 3T drive is "2,930,266,532".

If that doesn't work, and you are technical enough to troubleshoot a little, you can look on around line 391.  It sets a variable to a list of acceptable drive sizes that will not be reported as having an HPA.  The final value is "3T=2930266532".  That is the magic value for 3T drives.  You need to edit with a text editor that supports Linux line ends.

Hi bjp999

It seams sometime after the update I used the "User Scripts Check for unMenu Updates" button and wrote over myMain.conf. After undoing the damage the update button still wants to change it back. Any ideas?

Thanks for all you do!

Reed

Try now.  The official release now has the fix too.

Hi bjp999

It seams sometime after the update I used the "User Scripts Check for unMenu Updates" button and wrote over myMain.conf. After undoing the damage the update button still wants to change it back. Any ideas?

Thanks for all you do!

Reed

Try now.  The official release now has the fix too.

Thanks Joe L.!

Hi bjp999

Hi bjp999,

Currently drives with more than one partition are being flagged as having HPA.  For drives with NTFS filesystems it's most lilely not HPA but just multiple partitions on a Windows drive. 

I have a second partition on my cache drive for a swap file and apps. It is a Western Digital WDC_WD5000AAKS. It does not report hpa. The second partition does not show up on mymain [not a problem for me].  It reports "Couldn't find drivedb[sdj2]" but it is probably because I have it mounted as: mnt/mysystem

I am using unRaid 5.0beta10

Reed