myMain 1.5 - Now Integrated into unmenu

The myMain plugin has been integrated into unmenu and is available for download / update.  Please help me to run it through its paces and report any problems.  Below are some annotated screen shots I put together to help you learn about the new and existing features.

I want to thank Joe L. again for putting together unmenu.  myMain sits squarely on top of the work that he did in parsing out much of the data from the bowels of unRaid and Linux.  Without that myMain would never have been possible.

myMain's design goals was to be an interface that each user can customize for their own tastes and needs.  This version brings many of the configurable features out of the text file and gives friendly screens to adjust the parameters.  In addition, it implements graphics using a trick to get emhttp to serve up images.

Here are some documentation pages I put together to help get you familiar with myMain.  Let me know if there are any questions or comments to make this more clear.

Enjoy!

mymain1.jpg

mymain2.jpg

mymain3.jpg

mymain4.jpg

mymain5.jpg

mymain6.jpg

mymain7.jpg

mymain8.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been working with bjp999 on the initial tests of this.  All I can say is WOW. (and thanks)  

When I started writing unmenu as a tool to help us visualize how unRAID's user interface could be improved, I never envisioned anything like this.   It certainly raises the bar for the 5.0 version of unRAID itself...

Great documentation.!!!!!!!

Joe L.

WOW!

This looks great!

Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore!

I have only skimmed over all the screenshots, but still, WOW!

(Apologies to those living in Kansas).

I have worked with professional software that has not looked half as good. I want to thank all those who have put this kind of effort into this beauty.

Thank you!!

Where do you set "%ImageURL%"? I see a lot of broken image links, and I think it's because the %ImageURL% variable is set to //tower/ and since I'm on a Mac, I use my unRAID's IP address.

I have MyHost and unRAIDHost set in unmenu_local.conf, but that doesn't seem to resolve it.

I need to discuss with Joe L. to come up with a permanent fix.  In the mean time, I have a temporary fix for you.

You can set the following value in your myMain_local.conf (NOT in unmenu_local.conf)

SetConstant(ImageHost,        "tower")

(you can substitute your IP address for tower).

I will send you a PM with a link to download the fix.

Where do you set "%ImageURL%"? I see a lot of broken image links, and I think it's because the %ImageURL% variable is set to //tower/ and since I'm on a Mac, I use my unRAID's IP address.

I have MyHost and unRAIDHost set in unmenu_local.conf, but that doesn't seem to resolve it.

I had the same issue as you. I fixed mine by deleting the mymain_local_conf and updating unmenu again. The images popped in right after deleting it, I just wanted to be sure.

I also had to add an images folder in to unmenu folder, for some reason unmenu did not create one and the images were never downloaded because the folder did not exist.

My only issue now is changing the colors of the sever in the inventory view to mirror what I have in inventory.

I had the same issue as you. I fixed mine by deleting the mymain_local_conf and updating unmenu again. The images popped in right after deleting it, I just wanted to be sure.

I also had to add an images folder in to unmenu folder, for some reason unmenu did not create one and the images were never downloaded because the folder did not exist.

My only issue now is changing the colors of the sever in the inventory view to mirror what I have in inventory.

The issue you are referring to with the images directories is related to the unmenu update script.  If you look in the unmneu thread you'll see a workaround where you manually create the images and images/stock directories, and then run the updater twice.  Joe L. is working on a fix.

The myMain_local.conf is not intended to update automatically.  Once you have one and start to add drive attributes, you won't want it to be overwritten.  If you want to start out clean, though, delete yours and a new one will be downloaded on the next update.

Not sure what problem you're having changing the server colors?  Is this a problem with myMain?  Please elaborate.

It is expected that users would take digital photos (or get stock photos) of their servers for the MyServer.jpg file.

For the MySlots.jpg, below is a link to download an Excel spreadsheet that I used to lay it out.  After I got it looking as I wanted, I just did a screen capture (using the Win7 Snipping Tool, but any such tool would work).  You can use this as a starting point.

Here is a link to an Excel workbook that I used.

MySlots Spreadsheet

If there is interest, I will create a thread for people to post their MyServer and MySlots pictures to share.

Brian

The issue you are referring to with the images directories is related to the unmenu update script.  If you look in the unmneu thread you'll see a workaround where you manually create the images and images/stock directories, and then run the updater twice.  Joe L. is working on a fix.

The myMain_local.conf is not intended to update automatically.  Once you have one and start to add drive attributes, you won't want it to be overwritten.  If you want to start out clean, though, delete yours and a new one will be downloaded on the next update.

Not sure what problem you're having changing the server colors?  Is this a problem with myMain?  Please elaborate.

It is expected that users would take digital photos (or get stock photos) of their servers for the MyServer.jpg file.

For the MySlots.jpg, below is a link to download an Excel spreadsheet that I used to lay it out.  After I got it looking as I wanted, I just did a screen capture (using the Win7 Snipping Tool, but any such tool would work).  You can use this as a starting point.

Here is a link to an Excel workbook that I used.

MySlots Workbook

If there is interest, I will create a thread for people to post their MyServer and MySlots pictures to share.

Brian

Thanks Brian I will take a look and play with it a little. I thought it was live and would update with my actual configuration. One more question, In the samples above the pages have black borders around each cell. Mine do not, is there a setting I am missing to get the borders around each cell?

Thanks Burt

Thanks Brian I will take a look and play with it a little. I thought it was live and would update with my actual configuration. One more question, In the samples above the pages have black borders around each cell. Mine do not, is there a setting I am missing to get the borders around each cell?

Thanks Burt

Hey Burt.  Sorry - been a long day and a bit braindead.  I can't understand what your asking about.  What black borders?  What's not live?  Give me a little more to go on (maybe post a screenshot) so I can keep up.

Thanks!

Thanks Burt

If you are using a Webkit based browser (Chrome or Safari) this will happen.  It is just the difference in HTML web rendering engines and something you are probably going to have to live with.  I noticed the same thing in Chrome so loaded the new MyMain in FireFox and it looks perfectly fine there.

Thanks Burt

If you are using a Webkit based browser (Chrome or Safari) this will happen.  It is just the difference in HTML web rendering engines and something you are probably going to have to live with.  I noticed the same thing in Chrome so loaded the new MyMain in FireFox and it looks perfectly fine there.

Thanks prostuff I am using Safari. I will download Firefox and check it out. I figured it was something like that.

My first go at a little "Paint Love" customization.    Can't really read the 3 lower boxes on the slots screen.   They indicate blue for parity, green for data disk and grey for empty slot.

myserver.jpg

By kryspy at 2010-12-05

myslots.jpg

By kryspy at 2010-12-05

Kryspy

I'm suspecting the current code will attempt to replace your non-standard images with its supplied images if you attempt to "upgrade"

It "should" save your originals in a backup directory but I know for sure you'll probably be one of the first to try that feature. 

The intent is to supply the "stock: images in the images/stock folder and have unMENU copy those images to the "images" folder if you do not already have images there.

That way the deployed versions would always go to images/stock.  The .jpg files in "images" would always be used for the web-page so you can substitute them as desired.

It does NOT currently work this way... as I am not currently deploying those images to the images/stock folder....  (But obviously over the next few days I'll need to make those changes so your custom images do not get overwritten by the deployed ones if you attempt to upgrade.)

I guess what I'm saying is keep a copy of the local-custom images elsewhere until we get all this logic into place.  This brand new for bjp999 and me.  We are learning as we go.

Joe L.

I'm suspecting the current code will attempt to replace your non-standard images with its supplied images if you attempt to "upgrade"

It "should" save your originals in a backup directory but I know for sure you'll probably be one of the first to try that feature. 

The intent is to supply the "stock: images in the images/stock folder and have unMENU copy those images to the "images" folder if you do not already have images there.

That way the deployed versions would always go to images/stock.  The .jpg files in "images" would always be used for the web-page so you can substitute them as desired.

It does NOT currently work this way... as I am not currently deploying those images to the images/stock folder....  (But obviously over the next few days I'll need to make those changes so your custom images do not get overwritten by the deployed ones if you attempt to upgrade.)

I guess what I'm saying is keep a copy of the local-custom images elsewhere until we get all this logic into place.  This brand new for bjp999 and me.  We are learning as we go.

Joe L.

Joe - It does not attempt to replace the new images with the "stock" images once updated.  It does overwrite the other customizations (disk information, slot info, etc).

Joe L.

The way it should work is that files in the "images" directory should only be loaded if they don't already exist.  Similar to handling of the local config files

The files in the "images/stock" directory should be updated to reflect the latest version from the Google codebase.

That way the deployed versions would always go to images/stock.  The .jpg files in "images" would always be used for the web-page so you can substitute them as desired.

It does NOT currently work this way... as I am not currently deploying those images to the images/stock folder....  (But obviously over the next few days I'll need to make those changes so your custom images do not get overwritten by the deployed ones if you attempt to upgrade.)

I guess what I'm saying is keep a copy of the local-custom images elsewhere until we get all this logic into place.  This brand new for bjp999 and me.  We are learning as we go.

Joe L.

The way it should work is that files in the "images" directory should only be loaded if they don't already exist.  Similar to handling of the local config files

The files in the "images/stock" directory should be updated to reflect the latest version from the Google codebase.

Exactly as I said but currently I'm deploying the MyServer.jpg/MySlots.jpg only to images.   They really need to be deployed to images/stock and then copied to images ONLY if a file does not already exist in images.   As I said earlier that code does not currently exist.

The way it should work is that files in the "images" directory should only be loaded if they don't already exist.  Similar to handling of the local config files

Exactly as I said but currently I'm deploying the MyServer.jpg/MySlots.jpg only to images.   They really need to be deployed to images/stock and then copied to images ONLY if a file does not already exist in images.   As I said earlier that code does not currently exist.

The only reason I had put copies of MyServer.jpg and MySlots.jpg in the stock directory was so users would have a reference copy of the original files (which may update over time).  This is not a big deal. But if these files are overwriting the user's replacements, that is a bigger deal.  Until this is fixed, users will have to remember to copy these two files to the images directory after every update.  If we could get that fixed, it would be most appreciated!!!

Major kudos to Joe L and bjp999 for all of their terrific work!

I've taken the liberty of augmenting bjp999's MySlot Worksheet with custom sheets for other generic server configurations. I hope these will save other users some effort.

The principle remains the same:

• Open the .xls file in Excel
  • Modify the worksheet that best suits your configuration
  • Do a screen capture with Window Snipping Tool or other utility
  • Save as MySlots.jpg
  • Copy to //TOWER/flash/unMenu/images

Horizontal_5x.jpgVertical_5-3.jpgVertical_4-3.jpgVertical_1x1.jpg

Download Here: MySlots Plus Worksheet.xls v1&2

[Edit: Download file now includes both versions. See followup post below.]

I found a bug with sorting on the Inventory view (actually to problem would occur with any view where you selected 2 sort fields). Should be deployed soon.

Just got to this... I'll get the fix out shortly to google.code. 

I want to fix the image deployment first, otherwise I'll be over-writing the really cool images people are starting to put into place when I deploy the sorting fix.  It is not as "critical" to deploy first.

lewcass: I'm really impressed.  Very nice. 

Joe L.

lewcass: I'm really impressed.  Very nice.  

Thanks. I see now that I forgot to remove the cell gridlines in Excel. (Never hurry to get something finished before supper and expect to get it all right!  :-[ ) I'll fix it tomorrow. Relatively easy for anyone to fix themselves in the meantime.

Edit: Cell gridlines now hidden. To restore gridlines if desired while editing: (using Excel 2007) View>Show/Hide>Gridlines