Mysteriouskk

Unraid server not showing up on Windows 7 Network Places, but can access via UNC

29 posts in this topic

I have an unraid server that is connected to the network. I can access it by typing in Tower in IE, but it's not showing up in network places. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure the same is said for you but i also have win 7 and once i map the drive i was able to see it and access it in network place.

I'm having the same problem.  I can access the UNRAID by specifying it's name and then mapping drives to it, however, my UNRAID server (which is called UNRAID), doesn't show up in the network places in either Windows 7, or on my Mac systems (which are usually less picky).

A previous response said, make sure the workgroup settings are correct.  There isn't a whole lot to do there.  You've got the workgroup name, which in my case is just WORKGROUP, I've changed it to all upper case to match what my WINDOWS 7 machine says.  And you've got the ability to set it as a LOCAL MASTER.  I've tried both enabling and disabling this feature.  It doesn't appear to make a difference.  This is a brand new CLEAN install of UNRAID Server version 4.6.  I had the same problem with version 4.5.6.

If someone could shed some light on this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Mike

I have always found it to be hit and miss with the unRAID server showing up "magically" in the Finder sidebar, or on a Windows machine even.

If your in a finder window you can hit command+K and type in the path to the the server (should be smb://UNRAID/name of share)

I realize that, and that's how I have it working, however I would call that a band-aid.  Something isn't right with the SMB configuration.  Again, both my Macs and my PC's are unable to see the UNRAID server unless I tell them where to go look.

I have 3 other NAS drives, and they show up just fine.  There must be a simple configuration setting that isn't set right.

Mike

I am sure you have already checked this on your MAC, but just incase look in finder preferences in the side bar tab and ensure connected servers is checked

Thanks, but all that does is show your connected servers on your desktop.  That's not the issue here.  Once the server is connected it's fine.  The issue is that the Mac and Windows machines don't see the server.  In Mac OS X, on the left bar of a finder window under "SHARED" you will see servers even if you aren't connected to them.  All my other NAS drives and servers show up fine, only the UNRAID server does not.  The same is happening under Windows 7.  There is a configuration error on the UNRAID server that is not allowing it to broadcast it's existence to the network (probably via NETBIOS)

That is strange, I have a setup similar to yours with macs and windows boxes and they were ready to go when I setup my unRAID box. Possible it's a firewall issue, since it's not a network display issue?

If it were a firewall issue, why would my other NAS drives show up just fine?

I've had the unraid server disappear from Win 7 for a few days, then pop back in and show up for weeks before it does it again.  It's not just one machine, all three Win 7 boxes can't see unraid under network/computer when this happens, although it still works fine.

I'm having the same issue. Mine was working just fine and now i cannot access it. My HTPC cannot see the info on it and I cannot send anything to it but I can view it online. I have tried and tried to change my homegroup settings and network setting and get nothing. I would greatly appreciate info to get me up and going again. This is still my trial time on this to determine if I want to run my server via UNRAID and so far not so good.

OS X will not automatically see UNraid unless you install Avahi on UNraid. Windows should see it if everything is configured correctly. UNraid 5.0 final should show up on OS X.

I'm having the same issue. Mine was working just fine and now i cannot access it. My HTPC cannot see the info on it and I cannot send anything to it but I can view it online. I have tried and tried to change my homegroup settings and network setting and get nothing. I would greatly appreciate info to get me up and going again. This is still my trial time on this to determine if I want to run my server via UNRAID and so far not so good.

Go to add/remove programs and see if you have "windows live I'd sign in assistant installed". As I posted above after I removed this unRaid has shown up perfectly. I don't need the program so if you do I wouldn't remove it but if you don't need it you might want to give it a try. After removing it and a reboot of my PC unRaid has always shown up. YMMV

Hi,

im a new user of unraid. Im having the same problem, i unistalled the program suggested previously and i still cant see it. ive got my workgroup set up properly too. i can connect to //tower and ping the server but i just cant browse to it in explorer.

Edit, i cant access it through unc but that might be me doing it wrong as it dont understand it.

Edit2: typing \\tower into explorer has just made it appear in network places, i hope it stays there or there is no way on earth ill convince the girlfriend that this new server was a good idea!!

Edit3: it dissapears from network places when you shut down the explorer window and open a new one, then re-appears when i type \\tower.

Anyway to make it stay there permanently or ill never convert my girlfriend

I just finished installing mine and prelclearing can access thorugh //tower on IE but cant show or map on Pc

Has anyone figured out how to resolve this issue? I just got my server up and its not showing up on my network on my windows 7 pc.

Mine works once I used the same workgroup name windows is using.  In my case "WORKGROUP" and I set this under Settings SMB

As I posted in the other thread about this, I have the same problem with 2 out of 3 of my unraid servers.  One has always shown up, the other 2 haven't ever.  They are all configured the same way even down to the hardware used.  Very frustrating.

I'm having the same issue. \\tower in windows explorer shows the shares just fine, but as soon as I try to map the drive or I close explorer I have to type \\tower in again.

edit: I should also mention that I have tried using 3 different computers, 2 with Windows7 and one with Windows8

I somehow solved this on my own. I left the homegroup with all the computers. Then I changed the network from "home" to "work" and then back to "home". It took a couple minutes for "tower" to show up in my network places but it worked.

Maybe this'll help someone else.

Mine used to show up in network under my computer but now it doesnt. I'd like to know a fix to, kinda annoying.

Copyright © 2005-2017 Lime Technology, Inc. unRAID® is a registered trademark of Lime Technology, Inc.