120mm fan wall bracket for RPC-4224, RPC-4220, RPC-4116, RPC-4020

squirrellydw

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the midst of building my Unraid server with the Norco RPC-4224.  I hit a snag in that the 120mm fan wall bracket will not be shipping until October 20, 2010 and the wires of the 80mm fans that shipped with the unit is too short to reach my motherboard fan headers.

I plan on using the Delta AFC1212DE-PWM fans.  According to starcat on this forum, this fan has enough static pressure to keep all 20 drives cool under load and yet can be slowed down via the motherboard PWM feature to be quiet when the server is not under load.

The downside of this fan is that it is kind of expensive for a new one.  However, I plan on testing a refurbished fan from eBay for $10.  The only caveat is that it is terminated with the Dell 5-pin instead of the standard PWM 4-pin.  However, since the fan is a genuine Delta AFC1212DE-PWM, I plan on modifying the termination to see if it will work with the standard PWM 4-pin fan header.

• 4 weeks later...

Fan plate is here.  As far as I can tell the plate "snaps" in.  The predrilled screw holes in the plate in no way match up with the predrilled screw holes in my 4220 chassis (although I just ordered and received my 4220 recently from newegg, it still has the SAS connectors all the way to the side instead of towards the middle like newer ones.  The fanplate has the SAS cable holes towards the middle as can be seen in the first post of this thread.)  There are some slots cut into the plate the line up with indents caused by screw holes on either side of the chassis.  The plate slide nicely over these and the rotates an "snaps" into the top.  On the bottom it is butting up against the motherboard tray.

Edit to add:

There is an issue with the fanplate (or at least the way I have it installed.)  It is slightly bowing the sides of the 4220, making it impossible to get the lid on.

So in order to make this work properly in my 4220 I had to:

1) Trim the upper corners of the fanplate so no contact is made with rail tracks on the chassis

2) Drill holes on either side of the fan plate to match up with the upper set of case holes that protrude into the case (the lower set of case holes are already accommodated by slots cut into the fan plate.)

3) Drill holes in the case to match the upper set of holes on the fan plate, so now the fan plate is actually attached to the case via screws.

With these modifications, the fan plate is now solid and I can put the cover on.

The way I have it installed, picture one is looking at the fan wall from the hard drives.  Pictures two and four are looking at the fan wall from the mother board side. Picture 3 is looking at the side of the outside of the chassis at the location where the fan wall is installed. I used the same color paint edits in all 4 pictures to show what coincides with what.

Black-  Trim down the fan wall for the chassis lid rail indent (indicated by the green arrow in 2) and across for the chassis lid rail top rail

Blue-  Drilled hole in side of chassis to match tapped holes in fan wall.  Two screws, one on each side.  Was doing this at 1 in the morning and more concerned with containing the metal filings from drilling then where the holes were actually going.  Will likely re-drill at some point to get the fan wall exactly vertical, but for now it is close enough to not want to deal with it for a while.

Red-  Drilled hole into side of fan wall to match indent from tapped hole in chassis side. (drilled into the folded side of the fan wall that can not be seen in picture 1)

Green-  Already present slots in fan wall that match indent from tapped hole in chassis directly below tapped hole in chassis for which I drilled red holes

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

Hi Matt,

How old is your Norco case?

I've got my fan plate but I haven't fitted it yet as I'm waiting on a PWM extension cable but it looks like mine lines up including the screws. My case is the norco 4224 that I only recently purchased here in australia.

I'll let you know when I try and fit it in.

Josh

If I knew it didn't fit before starting the process I would have:

1) Set the wall next to the outside of the chassis (accounting for the chassis bottom) and marked the rail indent bottom location on each side of the fan wall.

2) Set the wall on top the chassis (top to top) and marked the rail top on each side of the fan wall.

This would have allowed the material to be properly removed prior to any attempt at installing the fan wall and been much cleaner cuts.

I just got mine a week ago and the SAS connectors are all on the right side (when looking from the back) so I guess there's still old stock floating out there.

I was hoping the fan plate install would be a much more smooth process than you've described Matt.  Thank you very much for the pictures and explanation.