Build a 'dropbox'-like system?

It's not exactly dropbox replacement but I think very interesting alternative is a Tonido (www.tonido.com) This software allows you to run your own Personal Cloud on your own server. I'm toying with the idea of running this on one of my PC's and accessing my files using build in  webdav server. This software already has combination of clients and servers for Mac's, iOS, windows, linux and android. Having been able to run this on UNRAID would be enough of arm twist to try this software full time. This also has other features like collaboration, media streaming, blog, gallery and other plus ability to run PHP apps as plugins. By any means this is not perfect or for everyone but it's the best alternative I could find if you want your data to stay on your own server.

• 6 months later...

It's not exactly dropbox replacement but I think very interesting alternative is a Tonido (www.tonido.com) This software allows you to run your own Personal Cloud on your own server. I'm toying with the idea of running this on one of my PC's and accessing my files using build in  webdav server. This software already has combination of clients and servers for Mac's, iOS, windows, linux and android. Having been able to run this on UNRAID would be enough of arm twist to try this software full time. This also has other features like collaboration, media streaming, blog, gallery and other plus ability to run PHP apps as plugins. By any means this is not perfect or for everyone but it's the best alternative I could find if you want your data to stay on your own server.

Has anyone tried this? This looks like a great option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of Dropbox and all the other 20 other ones I signed up for to try out. BUT having like a dropbox client on the web being connected to my computer(s) at home would be fantastic!

This all reminds me of the IMAP email system. Basically your run the IMAP client and it will connect to the IMAP email server. If you have two clients open and delete some email from that client the other client will automatically update and show those changes without the user doing anything. It is s REALTIME type service, the way these file sharing systems are. 2012 will be HUGE for cloud based services. I bought an Asus tablet and now have 8GB of storage space with Asus Webstorage service. Dropbox type interface.

**Update**

I just tried Tonido. Loaded it up on my Windows computers and then loaded it up on my Android tablet. Connected just fine. Was able to see my folder structure right from my Android tablet. Very cool. Just what I was wanting. Somehow it all filters and goes through the Tonido server, so there is a catch but yet to figure it out. I'd like to have a service just like this but not use a middle man server. I'd want it to directly connect to my server/window(s) computers.

Tonido looks pretty interesting, but 250MB sync for free version makes it a pretty no go for me. I assume that means you can access all your files but only maintain 250MB syncing between computers.

Sugarsync provides 5+GB for free (more for referrals and their intro "games").

Tonido looks pretty interesting, but 250MB sync for free version makes it a pretty no go for me. I assume that means you can access all your files but only maintain 250MB syncing between computers.

Sugarsync provides 5+GB for free (more for referrals and their intro "games").

I just installed this for the easy access to my LAN computers on my home network. Just type in the address and all my files are there, ready to download if needed. I'm not using it for syncing or keeping a cloud with files in it, which is only 256MB for the free version. 256MB is very low compared to other services, but I don't think Tonido has lots of hard drive space available anyway. It is pretty cool, needs some cosmetic changes but worth it when you need access to files at home.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Owncloud has come a long way. They have desktop clients now too..

Are you currently playing with it on your systems?

Would be interested to hear if anyone has this running on UnRaid. The external support for GDrive and Dropbox sounds interesting as well. Still waiting for the mobile apps.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...