str1der

Alright new problem

7 posts in this topic

This may have been the cause of my previous changing rights issue. I seem to have a bad folder out there. It just a folder called Zathura but everything seems to hang on it. It won't let me delete it either. Does anyone have an idea of how I can get rid of it?

Capture the syslog after a delete attempt & post back.  It could be a case of file system corruption.  Are you trying to delete the folder folder on a disk share, or via a user share?

Capture the syslog after a delete attempt & post back.  It could be a case of file system corruption.  Are you trying to delete the folder folder on a disk share, or via a user share?

I've tried both. Not sure how to capture the log though.

Do you think it would help to remove the folder through a telnet session instead of Windows? Can someone tell me where to find the files from the root prompt.

Do you think it would help to remove the folder through a telnet session instead of Windows? Can someone tell me where to find the files from the root prompt.

Each of your disks is at

/mnt/disk1

/mnt/disk2

/mnt/disk3

etc...

One possibility is the folder is not empty.  To change directory to a folder type

cd /mnt/disk2/folder      (where folder is the name of your folder)

Once in a folder type

ls -al

to see the contents of that folder.  if it is empty you will see entries for '.' and '..'  (synonyms for current directory and parent directory)

To remove a file after changing directory to the folder where it exists type

rm file_name    (where file-name is the name of the file you wish to remove)

To remove a folder it must be empty. 

the command to remove a directory (a folder) is

rmdir folder_name  (where folder_name is the name of your folder)

This must be typed in the parent folder, or you can give a full path name like this;

rm /mnt/disk3/movies/Zathura

Unlike Windows or DOS Linux is case sensitive.  If a file name or folder name has upper and lower case characters, the rm or rmdir command file or folder name must be typed using the same upper and lower case characters.

Once you have removed the folder from the telnet prompt you will want to use the web-interface to rescan your user-shares so they will be in sync.

Before you do anything you might want to follow the instructions near the end of this thread http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=463.msg3192#msg3192

and check to see if your file system has any corruption.  That may also be the reason for your errors.  the reiserfsck command can fix the corruption when invoked with the correct arguments.

Thanks for all the great info. I used to administer a Unix system years ago and I've spent years in therapy trying to forget it all. ;D

Anyway I did the file system check it found some issues. I then ran it with the --fix-fixable and now that directory is fine. Thanks again for all the help.

To remove a folder it must be empty. 

the command to remove a directory (a folder) is

rmdir folder_name  (where folder_name is the name of your folder)

This must be typed in the parent folder, or you can give a full path name like this;

rm /mnt/disk3/movies/Zathura

Actually the folder does not have to be empty. Use the following command from the command line

rm -rf /mnt/user/movies/Zathura  <-- this should remove the directory from ALL the disks that it may be on

Copyright © 2005-2017 Lime Technology, Inc. unRAID® is a registered trademark of Lime Technology, Inc.