Hands up if you're buying yourself any techy xmas prezzies

binhex

16 hours ago, DZMM said:

Take care when using squid with a VPN as it can leak dns

Yes! Good to mention.  The alias created to route select clients thru VPN should also be added to the exclude list in Squid config to have those also bypass the proxy and should exclude the VPN interface from the Squid bind list.

Edit: Can also get DNS leaks by having DNS queries go out the WAN interface vs. VPN interface, so don't forget to configure DNS interface and rules accordingly.

Edited by unevent

Xmas was a bit earlier in December this year ;) Got a managed switch to dig into VLAN, invested in a  2nd hand 2nd GPU (AMD 6850) which is installed powering my wifes VM and a TBS6922 DVB-S2 TV card  on my desk for a(nother) project (TVheadend ) I love this ! 

PCIe USB3 expansion card and PCIe NVM bifurcation card (ASUS) + first NVM drive (Samsung) remains on Santas to-do list, but I heard 2018 has 12 months left... :D 

oh yeah, and I was close to pull a trigger on a E5-2666 v3 but would need to buy two (sigh)

one of these babies would be way enough for my lu(na)dic drive..... that and Threadripper mess seems to get resolved bit by bit, so ... 

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit late xmas - hadn't time to shop around until after.

Just got another APC UPS, a 8-port 10Gbit switch and a couple of 10Gbit NIC. Useful since I have 40TB in older machines that should be copied to the main storage server.

And talking about firewalls - I got a new motherboard that is twice as fast but draws half as much power for the firewall machine.