Streaming devices

You can also use a Raspberry Pi3 with OpenPHT 1.8.0 (Plex Client) - have 2 of them - they work without problems.

The Raspberry can direkt play content up to 1080p with 5.1 Audio (HDMI only) and supports HDMI-CEC, so you can use the remote from your TV - if the TV supports CEC.

Best thing: During playback (1080p) the device needs only 2,2W(!) - idle 1W.

Edited by Zonediver

I'm using an older PC with OpenPHT and PMP (trying but liking OpenPHT more)

Just got an Raspberry Pi 3B and trying Kodi at the moment, looks real promising for my non theater TV's

Future.... getting a ODroid C3 for the theater.... it will run full TrueHD audio 7.1, atmos etc...... powerful little unit. A friend is currently running one.

There are lots of options out there.

Shield get lots of great reviews

I knew about Shield, but it's kind of expensive.....

Is Vero 4k a complete system, or some kind of Android box where you need to install an application such as Kodi, OSMC, etc....

The Raspberry 3 is tempting. Should I use it with Kodi, OSMC, other?

For all those solution, do I need to run Plex on my server?

8 minutes ago, French-Guy said:

It seems there is a version 2 of the Khadas Vim.......

Did you need to flash with LibreELEC? It was not good out of the box?

Out the box it had an Android ROM, which I wasn't interested in.  The V2 of the Khadas Vim is based on the S912 chipset, which at this point in time has some issues with LibreELEC, although it seems like they're getting ironed out, whereas the V1 (Either 8GB or 16GB eMMC) works fine and is a good deal cheaper.   Here's a good place for info.

8 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

How fast is Kodi compared to the Raspberry Pi3 since it's running off the eMMC?

I find the RPi laggy to be honest, whereas the Vim for me is running as well as LibreELEC did on my HTPC with an SSD and a sizeable library using Emby as a shared backend.