How to add existing data drive to new server

I’m going to build my first unRAID box with a new Dell T30.  I’ll be using 3 8TB externals I’ll be shucking, but I also have a 3TB drive that’s full and currently in my desktop running my Plex.  How do I go about adding the 3TB drive to the server since it has data?  Can I start with one data drive already filled?  Or do I need to build the server using the 3 8TB (One parity) and then file copy the media over to the server (and then blank the drive and add it to the server)?

UnRaid is very particular about how it partitions ahs formats array disks. So no, you would not be able to add your existing disk as an array disk.

You could configure your array with no parity, then copy the data over from your existing disk to the array, then do a new config adding the parity and the 3TB drives to the config. 

Take a look at this thread, Technique will be similar. Review and reach out with any questions.

7 hours ago, Thatsmystapler said:

So I could have two of the 8TB in a no parity array with the 3TB connected but not as part of the array (to allow a copy from within the server, rather than from my desktop to server over network)? 

Yes.     You would want the Unassigned Device plugin (UD) installed to help with mounting the 3TB drive outside the array.  Whether you have the parity drive assigned at this point is optional but copying goes faster if you have not yet assigned parity at the expense of not being protected until you later add parity.

The key point is that you need to copy the data off the 3TB drive before adding it to the array as the process of adding the 3TB drive to the array is almost certainly going to result in unRAID repartioning the drive (and this making existing data inaccessible).

Edited by itimpi