file browser in webui

unraid really needs a better way of browsing files than using a docker file manager, using the command line or using another pc on the network.  would be great to have a simple file browser built into the web ui that allowed you to browse your local files and do simple functions like copy, move, delete, rename, and open some files (documents, videos, music, and text files for example). Basically something like dissident.ai built right into the webui.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Normally all file operations for a NAS would be handled in the client desktop, not the local OS. At what point do you draw the line between maintaining a light resource NAS and a fully featured desktop OS? Since unRAID runs purely in RAM, all these add ons increase the required RAM footprint considerably, and detract from the core duty of being a NAS.

I'd rather the core features stay lightweight, and if you have the extra resources, it would be better to spin up a "management" VM or dockers with all the file managers, viewers and editors that you desire.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, nuhll said:

Also, all this nice options could be en or disabled in advanced settings. So that everyone can make it like someone want.

That's exactly what I said. If you want these advanced features, they are ALL currently available by using VM's or dockers. No need to add them to the core OS.

24 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I'd rather the core features stay lightweight, and if you have the extra resources, it would be better to spin up a "management" VM or dockers with all the file managers, viewers and editors that you desire.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 3:38 AM, Tjlejeune said:

unraid really needs a better way of browsing files than using a docker file manager, using the command line or using another pc on the network.  would be great to have a simple file browser built into the web ui that allowed you to browse your local files and do simple functions like copy, move, delete, rename, and open some files (documents, videos, music, and text files for example). Basically something like dissident.ai built right into the webui.

+1 !!

whenever i have showed unraid to friends even though they are interested, they are confused when i tell them they need to install separate apps to use as file manager.

• Upvote 1
On 12/31/2017 at 2:49 PM, jonathanm said:

Normally all file operations for a NAS would be handled in the client desktop, not the local OS. At what point do you draw the line between maintaining a light resource NAS and a fully featured desktop OS? Since unRAID runs purely in RAM, all these add ons increase the required RAM footprint considerably, and detract from the core duty of being a NAS.

UnRaid is already more than just network attached storage.  Why not also give users the ability to easily manage files without dealing with docker or network privilege settings? Kinda seems like the web UI for a NAS OS should include an built in way to manage your files. 

Also +1 for ability to disable it if desired

Edited by Tjlejeune
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...