New Build Help

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/JoNBoYuK88/saved/kh4JVn

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/JoNBoYuK88/saved/4H6yf7

/ Plex / sonarr / radarr / about it might play with VM for a few weeks but that is about it i have a gtx 470 sat on a shelf and 4 6tb wd red, I know with this build I'm missing a sata port for the m.2 drive but i hear caching is important to speed Unraid up, and will put in a HBA card I have that supports IT mode. what pit falls am i missing? is caching necessary? 1 Parity drive for the moment.

Ryzen or Intel?

Thanks for your help here I'm a day away from pulling the trigger

Edited by JoNBoYuK

Hello -

There are still some remaining issues with Ryzen, if you decide to go in that direction make sure you have read the many Ryzen threads like:

I'd go with Intel at this point, but Ryzen is getting a lot closer to stable.

Regarding caching - no, it's not necessary - but a cache drive is.  The cache drive in unRAID has become the defacto application drive where Dockers and VMs are run from.  It can also still be used for caching writes to the array but that just isn't necessary very often in these days of large, fast hard drives.  It's a feature, it's there if you need it.  Most people use an SSD for the cache drive but an HD works as well.  It's worth buying an MLC based SSD with a high lifetime TBW (terabytes written).  By the way, you list a mix of 6TB and 8TB drives - I'd just stick with 8TB drives.

thanks for the info, i have 4 6tb drives all ready and am going to buy 2 x 8tb so i'm stuck with them ;( the SSD was just chucked in cos it was cheap but if caching is not that important  ill add latter if i don't like the speed, the thing i want to get past is the 20/30mbps write speed my understanding was that a SSD would help elevate that so Intel it is i have no time for fixing problems just wanna plug and play tbh.

Regarding the drives, that makes sense.

On write speeds, I regularly get 45-55 MB/s writing to a 6TB drive and I’d expect 8TB drives to be faster.  And when I turn on Turbo Write I typically get 85-110 MB/s.  That’s all without using a cache drive to cache writes.

But you will almost certainly want a cache drive for Dockers.