WD80EMAZ Thumping but Healthy?

I shucked two WD80EMAZ drives from a BF deal - was expecting the WD reds, but got these instead. I've heard that these run a bit loud, so at first I didn't think much about the fact that the drive makes a loud thumping noise under certain circumstances (first part of SMART test and for a couple minutes each cycle). The noisy drive successfully finished a three cycle preclear without any issues and the SMART report comes up fine. In about two hours, it will complete as my parity drive.

Then I realized that the other drive doesn't make any of those noises...

Every digital indicator I have looks good; my ears makes me wonder what's going on with this drive. So, recommendations from the gurus? Leave it? Try to get it replaced? Another crazy test I can do to know for sure?

Thank you in advance

2 hours ago, SSD said:

You sure it is the drive and not something about how it it's mounted? Or a fan?

Is it noisier when being accessed? When spinning? Any noise when spun down?

Quite sure it's the drive. It made the sound both when loose for initial testing and when mounted in my server. It's quieter inside the enclosure, of course, but still noticeable.

It appears to be noisy only during certain (write?) operations. Nothing on spin up/down. Whatever SMART checks for first makes it go crazy for about 20 seconds.

Edited by Crlaozwyn
clarified when noise occurs