Delete Files For More Space

Hello All,

I am a newb to having a home media server and learning as I go but I have a question when I delete files.

Attached is a screenshot of my drives, if I am reading it right, I should have roughly 15TB of free space, correct?

I deleted 1TB in files to make room for more media but when I try to move a file that's 700MB its saying I need an additional 325MB of space.

When I delete a file, am I suppose to do something else or change a setting in the web interface?

Server.jpg

Edited by davidshinobi
double image

No you have 7.05TB of free space on your array and 15.4GB of free space on your flash drive. From where to where are you trying to move a file? How do you have your shares setup? Also the temps for your drives are pretty hot, do you have adequate cooling in your case? You should try to get them down to under 40c or they may die an early death.

Edited by ashman70
1 minute ago, ashman70 said:

No you have 7.05TB of free space on your array and 15.4GB of free space on your flash drive. From where to where are you trying to move a file? How do you have your shares setup?

Hi ashman,

You are correct, I misread the amount of free space....

I am trying to move files from an external drive to my server but when I try to move a file that's 700MB, I get a message that I dont have enough space so I am confused as I know I have more than enough room.

As mentioned I am new, what do you mean by shares setup?

18 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

You have to create shares on your server in order to have somewhere to copy files to. If you click on the shares tab you can setup shares there. I don't understand where you are trying to copy files to on your server if you don't have shares setup.

Oh ok.... yes I do have a shares set up.

I have one user which is me and I have it set for read/write

I have been using my server for a few months now and have been moving files to it but when I got that message that I needed more room I deleted a bunch of unimportant stuff assuming I needed more room but apparently I have plenty of space.

Shares.thumb.jpg.c6081c473968d7d38b0c60681d5f5b85.jpg5a287d85ad9fb_Share2.thumb.jpg.eb5bf68687c5a54b60a9e7a0c5b4b280.jpg

Edited by davidshinobi
12 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Post your diagnostics after a copy attempt with error.

This is the message I am getting when I try to move a file over to my server when though I have more than enough space.

I am trying to move a file that's 335GB from my PC  to my server but its saying I need 235GB more space even though I have 7TB of free space on my server.

Untitled.jpg.86053c9ffeea52b8dd72271a87ee5265.jpg

In the future, please include your system diagnostics in any posts requesting support.  The information inside is vital to helping you diagnose and re-mediate problems.

One possible issue could be that you do not have minimum free space values configured for your shares.  Click on the share you're attempting to utilize for this copy and increase the minimum free space value to the size of the file you are trying to transfer.  Now try to copy it and see what happens.

5 hours ago, jonp said:

In the future, please include your system diagnostics in any posts requesting support.  The information inside is vital to helping you diagnose and re-mediate problems.

One possible issue could be that you do not have minimum free space values configured for your shares.  Click on the share you're attempting to utilize for this copy and increase the minimum free space value to the size of the file you are trying to transfer.  Now try to copy it and see what happens.

jonp,

Can you tell me how to provide my system diagnostics?

I mentioned in my first post that I am a newbie and learning as I go....

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Go to the plugins page and click on "check for updates" for the unRAID OS.

All done and no change.....

No one answered my question though,

If I delete 7TB of old stuff then I should have room for 7TB of new stuff, correct?

Whats going on is when I delete files, they show as gone because they aren't there anymore but apparently the space is still taken.

5 minutes ago, davidshinobi said:

If I delete 7TB of old stuff then I should have room for 7TB of new stuff, correct?

Yes

6 minutes ago, davidshinobi said:

All done and no change.....

Try redoing your flash drive:

-Backup current flash to your PC

-Format flash drive and install a new download of v6.3.5 or use the USB creator tool

-From the old flash backup restore super.dat and your key to the new flash, both files are on the config folder.

17 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Yes

Try redoing your flash drive:

-Backup current flash to your PC

-Format flash drive and install a new download of v6.3.5 or use the USB creator tool

-From the old flash backup restore super.dat and your key to the new flash, both files are on the config folder.

No luck.... :(

I tried 5 different flash drives I have here and even went and bought a new one and none of them would even boot, and yes, I know how to do that part.

I used the USB creator and PowerISO which is what I used to make the original working flash drive.

Hi,

I have seen this happen. What is likely occurring is the file system is marking the files as 'deleted' but not actually freeing the inodes. You can usually see this happening if you type the command: lsof | grep deleted 

Typically a reboot will clear the 'stuck deletes' - alternately, just turning off and on the array might correct this.

In the output of the lsof command given above, you should be able to determine which process is keeping the files open, if you turn that process off and on that too might clear the problem.

Hope this helps,

D