Cn someone suggest a 4 bay, low power, small build

This is something I want to get as an alternative to commercial NAS like Qnap/Synology for my family. Don't need more than 4 bays. It needs to be of similar size, power/noise levels and I don't need ultra fast cpu.

If there is some SFF pc which comes with a motherboard/cpu combo (like NUC's do) and has 4 drives, that I can just buy, I'd really prefer that. I am under time limits as I'm traveling this weekend, and I cannot ship parts where I'm going.

Just about any mITX motherboard is going to have 4 SATA ports and so all you need to do is find a small mITX enclosure with room for four 3.5" HDDs.

Lots of other options - hot swap? tower vs. shoebox vs. flat case design? IPMI?

Getting an NUC with a separate Thunderbolt storage box would be an option too.

Edited by Smitty2k1

I still use an older hp n40l and a n54l microserver. A year ago could find a used n40l for about $100-125. Small size, its quiet, I don't hear it in the room. 4 drives in the bottom bays, and you can stick a parity drive in the top. So 5 drives easy. About once or twice a year, I open it up and clean out any dust.

Here is a huge thread on the hp microservers,

Edited by korith
added link