DocBlock

802.1q VLAN support (trivial)

I'd like to see if I could get an option added to standard kernel builds, which is:

CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q=m

To enable VLAN support in unRAID. This would allow folks with VLAN-capable gear to place an unRAID server on more than one network with a single network cable. There's a single symbol missing from the unRAID kernel which this would enable.

The module itself ends up at 22k, but even if you didn't include this, compiling only the module, as opposed to replacing the kernel entirely, would be less risk.

I have tested this on e100, e1000 and forcedeth and it's working as expected. I wouldn't expect you to support this feature, but having the symbol in the kernel would save us a little bit of time.

Can someone talk me through how to get VLAN compatability with the current version 5? How do I install the 8021Q module? Is it a case of, we can't? Is it only something that is included at time of compile of the kernel/release that Tom/Limetech create?

Is there VLAN support in Unraid yet?

I figure with KVM being a big chunk of v6's new feature set, requirement for VLANs will be pretty high too.

I'd kill for 802.1Q support.  I just had to build a standalone physical box because I can't do 802.1q on unRaid yet.

Ok, want to hear more about this. Other than the kernel parameter, what is required?  I'm guessing there would need to be a front end gui requirement for configuration?

Any luck on getting 802.1q support in here?  From what I can tell we just need the kernel module 8021q loaded.  We can get the vconfig program from here:

http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/slackware64/n/vlan-1.9-x86_64-2.txz

Unfortunately I doubt that we will ever get VLAN support. Even though VLAN's do have functional benefits, they are mostly known for their security benefits, and Lime could care less about the security of unRAID; as shown with their lack of HTTPS support! It's a shame though. The ability to put VM's and Dockers onto different VLAN's would be VERY beneficial for a lot of us!

I wonder if it would be easier on LimeTech to just throw Open VSwitch in the build and let us handle it that way.

Damn, just stumbled upon this thread after making a thread in the KVM section asking about VLAN support.  The lack of VLAN support is going to make switching from ESXi a much toughest decision now.  I'm not sure it's even an option until there is VLAN support.

I think we need to come up with a gaming/media-related usecase for this feature to be taken more seriously with this community..

How about limiting broadcast traffic!? Combining traffic from all of the services provided by unraid,  Dockers, and VM's onto one broadcast domain/network is a horrible implementation! Not to mention horrible security; which Lime doesn't care about. It can't be that difficult to enable Open vSwitch into unraid?

Well, you can add me to the list of people who would very much like to see this feature....  Hello... paying customers... We want something fairly trivial added here...

Not a paying Customer yet... The only thing holding me back migrating from ESXi + FreeNAS to UnRAID is the lack of VLAN Support.

Please add VLAN Support!!

I think we need to come up with a gaming/media-related usecase for this feature to be taken more seriously with this community..

Can we bring this back form the dead?  Any chance of getting more support for this?

If vlan support is considered would it be more future-proof to look at Open vSwitch instead of playing with pure Linux vlan implementation?

Can we bring this back form the dead?  Any chance of getting more support for this?

Have you tried it?  I believe it was added back in 6.2.

Copyright © 2005-2017 Lime Technology, Inc. unRAID® is a registered trademark of Lime Technology, Inc.