Issue Correctly Booting from USB [SOLVED]

sanguis

I've been having issues with networking and having the USB be formatted properly. I followed many guides but for some reason my attempts are failing. What happens is I boot from the USB and it boots seemingly normally. I normally try without the GUI but the issue persists regardless of my choice. Firstly, when it loads everything it says Waiting for /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID/. I have no idea why this happens but suspect that it may be the cause of my troubles. After all this happens, I log in as root and everything seems fine but it isn't. When I check my network connections using ifconfig it doesn't return an IP address. Also I can't access http://tower through a browser.

I'm using the free version of 6.3.5 for now to test and get it working before I buy a key.

My network.cfg file looks like this:

# Generated network settings
USE_DHCP="yes"
IPADDR=
NETMASK=
GATEWAY=
BONDING="yes"
BRIDGING="yes"

I would provide a syslog but I'm unsure of how to find it.

Would anyone be able to help me get the server running and how to fix the USB?

Thanks!

EDIT: SOLVED. Thanks to everyone that helped me out. Turns out it was of course a newbie mistake like I'm sure you're used to. Thanks everyone!

Edited by sanguis
solved issue

Ok I've attached the diagnostics zip file for you. One thing I want to note is that when I SSH in, I can see all of the boot and dev type folders but when I plug the USB into another machine it only looks like a fresh install without any of those files. I had to copy over the diagnostics file through SSH since it didn't show up when it was plugged into my other machine.

I also attached a picture of what I mean with the files on the USB. Maybe this can help diagnose things too.

tower-diagnostics-20171203-0541.zip

unraid files.png

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

This suggests that the USB stick may not be correctly mounting as /boot, so from the SSH session the files you are seeing are only in RAM.   Issuing a ‘df’ command from the ssh session will show if you have anything mounted as /boot.

If I understand the output correctly I believe that this is indeed the issue. Here is the output when I run the df command:

Filesystem     1K-blocks   Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs           4029104 384548   3644556  10% /
tmpfs            4104456    136   4104320   1% /run
devtmpfs         4029120      0   4029120   0% /dev
cgroup_root      4104456      0   4104456   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs             131072   1968    129104   2% /var/log

Do you have any suggestions on how I would go about getting the USB to mount on /boot?

4 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Make sure that you have the flash drive plugged into a USB2 port and not a USB3 port.  (There have been some issues with the boot drive using the USB3 port.) 

I believe that it is plugged into a USB2 port. I heard that sometimes there are issues with the front IO panel so I have it plugged into a rear IO port.

Edited by sanguis

So I've done so research and figured out that the USB isn't mounting to /boot. I did try to recreate the USB to no avail. Does anyone have any idea how I could get it to mount correctly? I've looked around for answers but I can't seem to find a solution (that's probably my bad searching skills).

13 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Try a different flash drive.

So I tried a different USB and installed unraid on it and it boots but is still not mounting to /boot. I'm 100% sure that it not mounting properly is not the issue since when I shutdown using,  shutdown -r now, it saying unmount: not mounted to /boot right before it shuts off but I have no clue how to fix it especially since the other USB didn't work either.

For information purposes, I would like a bit of qualification.  Did you mean that (1)  your server will only mount  the flash drive on that particular USB3 port and none of the other USB ports on your server or (2) That it will only mount the boot flash drive if it that flash drive is the only USB device plugged into the front USB ports?