In desperate need of help after failed drive swap

ghart999

Hello all. I've had Unraid 6.2 running smooth for years and one of my 3TB drives finally failed. It's not the parity drive!!! No big deal right. I swapped in a new one and Unraid says its faulty as well. I put the new drive in the same SATA slot. Then I tried another open slot and new cable thinking that might be the problem, but I get the same issue. I even plugged the new drive into a PC and was able to format it as NTFS without issue, so I know the drive's not bad. Any idea? Thank you all so much.

11.29.2017-12.55.png

11.29.2017-12.57.png

Edited by ghart999

I am guessing that you have already rebooted so it might be useful to get some more information in addition to your diagnostics, which won't tell us what happened before the reboot.

It is very unclear from your text where exactly your screenshot fits into this whole scenario. Seems like that screenshot must have been taken with the original disabled disk in place. Is that correct?

Yes you're right. I forgot to remove the disk and start the array without it. I have now done so. I accidentally assigned the new device in Disk 4 slot instead of Disk 3. Does this matter? What does Disk 3 still show the red X? The array has started and clearing things out. I assume this is all good?

11.29.2017-14.40.png

19 hours ago, ghart999 said:

I just bought an 8TB drive and I will do my backups.

I would get 2 8TB drives and store one at a relatives house. Then as you add photos you swap your drives with the relative so that you have backups at an off site location. You might even consider a cloud backup as well for a third off site location.  If I had any pictures that precious to me I wouldn't take any chances.