[4.5.6] Parity Upgrade Issues - Won't Rebuild with New Drive

Hello all--I'm running 4.5.6 currently and am attempting to upgrade my Parity drive from a 2TB drive to a 4TB drive.

To do this in the past, I've simply unassigned my old Parity drive (or removed/replaced it entirely with the new drive using same port), started the array, then stopped the array, assigned the new disk, and subsequently was given the option to bring the array on-line and start a Parity-Sync.

The issue I'm currently experiencing is that with the new drive assigned to the Parity slot, the Main page still shows the Parity drive as Not installed.  The only option I have is to simply "Start" the Array "Start will bring the array on-line (array will be unprotected)."

I can see the drive in the Devices tab and can assign it to the parity slot there, but it's like the drive subsequently isn't being recognized and won't "take".  I've tried this with both the new drive in a new port, as well as replacing the old parity drive port directly.

If I subsequently put the old drive back in and re-assign it as parity, it successfully recognizes it as a new drive and lets me bring the array online with a Parity-Sync.

Not sure what the issue is--I feel like if the drive wasn't being recognized it wouldn't see it in Devices and let me select it.  Is there something else going on that I am missing?

If you have access to v5 you could upgrade 4.5.6 to v5 and then you could upgrade to 4TB drives.  If your computer supports 64bit then I would recommend unRAID v6 as v5 is not downloadable any more so you would have to contact lime to get access to it.

The download page says to get version prior to 6.2.4 to do the following:

" If you require a previous release, please send a request to [email protected]."

• Upvote 1

Thanks BobPhoenix---

Are you confirming Squid's hypothesis that v4 doesn't support >2TB drives, or just speculating what my options would be if that were the case?

I ran the lm proc/cpuinfo command per the "Upgrading to unRAID v6" wiki guide and it appears I do have the lm in the CPU flags so I should be able to update to the latest v6.

root@Tower:~# grep --color lm /proc/cpuinfo
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arc
h_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr
pdcm lahf_lm

Intermediate Update:

I performed my upgrade to 6.3.5.  It went smooth except I had to re-assign boot order in the BIOS (the possibility of this was in the v6 Upgrade Wiki article indicating sometimes the BIOs tries to be "helpful" when installed disks changes).

I am currently having it re-build the parity on my original parity drive (playing it safe).  I do see that unRAID recognizes my new drive as a 4TB drive.  Once my parity rebuild is complete, I will perform the parity swap to the new 4TB drive.

Presuming it all goes well, I will post a final update, and mark this thread as solved.

One of the big improvements in 6.x is the ability to select the filesystem you use for data disks.

RFS has lost a lot of users, and there has already been a major bug in a release that resulted in data corruption. RFS also has real problems with larger disks (even 2T and 3T drives have this problem), that as the disk gets full, it seriously slows down. As disks get bigger and bigger, the slowdown happens sooner and sooner. So with 3T drives you might not notice util drive is 70% full, whereas with 8T drives the slowdown might happen at 40% full. If you didn't know, the author murdered his wife and is rotting in prison somewhere in Germany. He recently filed suit on his children relative to some financial matter. All in all, he is not exactly a solid citizen, and his intellectual contribution to computing is rightfully falling from significance due to neglect.

I highly recommend a move to XFS relatively soon. There are instructions on how to convert on a sticky in the forums. Post if any questions or problems. They are pretty detailed and designed to avoid problems earlier members had converting, but feel a little like a Rube Goldberg machine, but they work!