Plex vs Emby Database/Library Structure

unevent

After almost a year of using Plex on a SanDisk 120G SSD, Plex has destroyed it.  I'm in the process now of transferring Plex's 800 thousand files for 27G to a spinner while watching the reported uncorrect skyrocket and retired block count go through the roof hoping all will make it.  Anyone familiar with how Emby stores the library?  Is it better than Plex and uses a database vs. file structure to store data?  I don't do thumbnails or any of that nonsense.  All my rips have xml and artwork generated when I put them on the array so really Plex shouldn't have that much to do.

Emby is pretty much the same, lots and lots of tiny files.

Really, you want to be using a decent SSD that isn't going to burn out if you've got Plex Media Server on it - something with MLC flash, or some of the more recent 3D NAND.  A cheap SSD is just that, cheap.  Some of SanDisk's low-end drives are pure trash.

I had a similar issue with a Samsung 750 EVO - Samsung's elcheapo drive.  After a month I'd burned through 10% of it's life, I swapped it out for an Intel Pro 5400S which has the new Micron/Intel 3D NAND, and after 6 months it's still got 100% life.

Edit: Just thinking, do you use the SSD for Plex's transcode directory?  If you do, and you do a lot of transcoding, that really thrashes the SSD and will bun it out in no time.  Try moving your transcode directory to a RAM disk, as it's purely temporary files.

Edited by HellDiverUK
More thoughts

Yeah it is a cheap SSD just surprised it got ate up as fast as it did after such a short period of time.  After just over nine hours Plex was finally copied over to a spinner.  Only lost one file so not bad overall.  I attached the smart report for those curious.  The reported hours are a bit whack, but haven't looked into it to figure out why they are off as much as they are.  Most of the Plex loads are tablets/phones and currently having to use Plex on PS4 on the big screen so I pretty much have to transcode everything.  I'll be watching sales for a better SSD.

tower-smart-20171128-2005.zip