[SOLVED] Array help

karldonteljames

Evening all.

I've finished building my unraid machine.

Anyway, whilst i was building I was planning my arrays in my head, but i think i may have overlooked how unraid creates arrays.

I've got two 250gb SSD's for the cache,

4* 4tb Drives

4 *6tb Drives

My original plan (in my head) was to raid 5 the 4tb's, then raid 10 the 6tb's giving me around 20tb of usable space.

I wanted to use 6tb as my media backup (I need fault tolerance, as i have all my family media on there, baby photos etc.)

Then use the 4tb's with various vm's one will be the family computer, one will be a web server, and another will (eventually) be a pf sense server.

Can someone advise how I go about setting this up, or if there is a better solution please?

Thanks.

Edited by karldonteljames

That sucks.

I wanted the span of the 4 4tb drives to give me the space I required.

I like the idea of being able to use the hardware for a server that just runs in the background, and also for the main family PC, but it seems this will dead in the water if I can't "span" the drives using a traditional raid setup taking advantage of the multiple drives.

4 minutes ago, karldonteljames said:

can I set up the 3* 4tb with one of the 1* 4tb as parity for those drives then setup the 6tbs at a later date?

Yes.

4 minutes ago, karldonteljames said:

again with a 6tb parity drive, (or two) giving me the drive setup I had in mind?

Yes, but can only have one array, but you can still have a 6TB parity (or 2) and use the other 2x6TB for a share and the 4x4TB for a another share, both would be protected by the 6TB parity disk(s).

11 minutes ago, karldonteljames said:

how do I go about creating the 12tb share with parity from the 4tb drives?

You just create a new share, by default it will use the 3 available disks, at any time or when you add more disks you can limit the share to use just specific disks, also note that shares are jus top level folders.

Thanks for the info Johnnie - I really appreciate your help.

At the moment, my data is all on the 4tb drives radied in a dell R410, I need to copy the data to the new unraid system. 

So i should set up a 4x 4tb not worrying about parity for now, then once the data is transferred, add the additional drives to the system, and add the two 6tb as parity?

I've a couple more questions if you don't mind:

I'd like to backup the data to another share/drive, so I've always got a copy should the worst happen. I've not done much on Linux before so this is all new to me.

I already have Hyper-v machines running on my R410, so ideally I'd like to just migrate them to the unraid system.

Does unraid support tagged/untagged VLANs, if so how do I implement them?

unraid isn't recognizing the onboard NIC, just the quad port card I have connected, how do I go about adding drivers?

1 hour ago, karldonteljames said:

Does unraid support tagged/untagged VLANs, if so how do I implement them?

I don't use that, I believe they are supported, @bonienlor anyone else who knows can chime in.

unraid isn't recognizing the onboard NIC, just the quad port card I have connected, how do I go about adding drivers?

Best bet it to email Limetech directly or create a feature request, if the driver is available they usually include it in the next release.

Does unraid support tagged/untagged VLANs, if so how do I implement them

unRAID supports tagged VLANs. You can assign VLANs from the network settings page.

First enable VLANs and next add as many VLANs as required + plus their configuration. Remember that you need a switch + router which support VLANs too.

Thank you. I will add the VLAN's in tomorrow. I've a new issue now whereby I can't start VM's I'm getting the error:

"Your hardware does not have Intel VT-x or AMD-V capability. This is required to create VMs in KVM. Click here to see the unRAID Wiki for more information"

I enabled VT-d in the bios before I ran unraid for the first time.

My processor is an i7-7700k.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, karldonteljames said:

I enabled VT-d in the bios before I ran unraid for the first time.

There's usually two things you need to enable in the BIOS

VT-d (if you want to use passthrough of hardware)

and VT-x (or Virtualization) which is required to run any VM