Device disabled, contents emulated. What is that mean?

Basically, it means that the disk in question has been disabled (The attached SMART report says that it has a "Current Pending Sector"  which is most likely unreadable)  and the contents of that drive are being emulated using parity to calculate those contents.  If you lose another drive, you will lose data.

I would replace that drive as soon as possible with a new drive.  (I would use a new drive because if you do encounter a problem with a second drive during the rebuild, there is a possibility that you could recover some files on this drive.) 

Now, often drives with pending sectors can be 'fixed'.  By forcing a write to that sector, the sector will be remapped to a spare sector from a pool of sectors that the manufacturer provides for just such a situation.  When that occurs the "current Pending Sector" count will drop to zero and the "Reallocated Sector Count" will increase by the number of sectors remapped.   

After everything is back to normal on the array, you could run this drive through at least two full preclear cycles and see if the errors after the second count remain unchanged.  If it does stabilize, you could then decide what you want to do with this drive.  It has some 23,000 hours on it currently...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I just noticed this in your reply Frank1940, 

Now, often drives with pending sectors can be 'fixed'.  By forcing a write to that sector, the sector will be remapped to a spare sector from a pool of sectors that the manufacturer provides for just such a situation.  When that occurs the "current Pending Sector" count will drop to zero and the "Reallocated Sector Count" will increase by the number of sectors remapped.   

How do I do that?