Needs reboot daily...

opentoe

I mostly use my Dune media player to watch MKV movies, MTS, pretty much whatever media types I have. I have noticed when I don't reboot my unraid server for a few days the Dune player only receives around 5-7 MB/sec, which is horrible and makes movies pause, stutter and sometimes just time out. The Dune player has a built-in READ TEST. I'll do a read test before I reboot my unraid box and get the 5-7 MB/sec. Then after a reboot I'll be back to the normal 25-27 MB/sec speeds which I'm used to for those hi bit rate movies. I'll do this without rebooting my Dune player. I'll just leave it on and it will just re-connect to the SMB shares again. I can't think on where to begin with this. I'm still trying to figure out why unraid only gets approx 300Mbps on online speed tests and other computers are getting 800-900 consistently. I do have another post with iperf tests which all indicate my network and unraid server is fully capable of receiving 900Mbps speeds with no problems. I did a 20 parallel TCP test and went right up to 935Mbps/sec. Then with "online" tests it just caps out. Just looking for a good direction to go in. I've already ran SabNZB+ on a regular Windows desktop capping out about 100MB/sec and then trying the same thing on unraid getting only half or less than that. I just want to utilize as much bandwidth as I can since I am paying for it and the unraid box is the only one not receiving the full speeds. And yes, when I tested with SabNZB+ I was only writing to my SSD cache drive. Not the array itself. Go figure.

5 hours ago, opentoe said:

Asus AC-5300 Router

Did you reboot this router?   Up on Amazon, this device has 20% one-star ratings and only 60% five-star ratings (840 ratings).  On the years, I have found that you really want to have as few device as possible connected to your router.  They tend to run hot and using a inexpensive switch takes over the heavy lifting of handling the normal WAN traffic out of the router loop. (I would assume that you have high wireless traffic to spend this type of money on a Wireless Router there will be the additional thermo and processing load from that traffic which can't be avoided.)  (Plus, there have been a few cases when the transfer speed suddenly changes, that the source of the problem has been found to be in the network components.) 

Do you have solid iperf results during the phase where your Dune is getting slow streams?  And I realize that's contradictory in a way, iperf can saturate the link.  But if iperf is seeing a similar slowdown then it would indicate some kind of network issue.

Edited by tdallen
20 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Did you reboot this router?   Up on Amazon, this device has 20% one-star ratings and only 60% five-star ratings (840 ratings).  On the years, I have found that you really want to have as few device as possible connected to your router.  They tend to run hot and using a inexpensive switch takes over the heavy lifting of handling the normal WAN traffic out of the router loop. (I would assume that you have high wireless traffic to spend this type of money on a Wireless Router there will be the additional thermo and processing load from that traffic which can't be avoided.)  (Plus, there have been a few cases when the transfer speed suddenly changes, that the source of the problem has been found to be in the network components.) 

Doesn't matter what router I use. I've tried a small Cisco RV router, a larger Cisco 2U router, also another consumer router which I think was called the Nighthawk. That router was crap, so I stuck with the Asus since I already had it and they are updating the firmware using Merlin. I don't really go by Amazon's feedback too much. To tell you the truth that router has been rock solid since I bought it. It is fast as heck and provides me an internal log to see what it is really doing. All Linux based. There is temperature readings on board, CPU usage and thresholds, all that feedback if you want to see what it is doing. I ran 20 parallel iperf TCP connections for hours while using my network and it didn't dip down under 875Mbps. 

20 hours ago, tdallen said:

Do you have solid iperf results during the phase where your Dune is getting slow streams?  And I realize that's contradictory in a way, iperf can saturate the link.  But if iperf is seeing a similar slowdown then it would indicate some kind of network issue.

I've been doing speed tests with my Dune all night waiting for that 5-7MB/sec phase. Hasn't happened yet. When it does I'll run an aggressive iperf to my unraid box and see what happens. When I moved into the house I wired all the rooms with CAT5E, made all the crimps myself and tested each line with my fluke meters. Got those from work. :) The only unmanaged device on the network is a Netgear switch (HUB) to support all the direct connections from all over the house. I'll even try to remove that piece if I could and get a managed switch instead...but in reality I don't think that could be the issue. Time will tell.

I may end up with a real switch, instead of a switch that's really a hub. I may get the POE variety for my cameras.

http://a.co/bOfM83N

Edited by opentoe