Win7pro VM <-> disk# shares = possible? (SOLVED)

I've mostly set up a Windows 7 Pro VM on my server (6.35).  I'd LIKE to use the VM to do backups of my server drives- to external drives connected via the unassigned devices plugin. 

The VM is using i440fx 2-7, SeaBIOS, and virtual drivers virtio-win-0.1.126-2.iso

I have two issues/questions, very likely cause/effect related:

• I'm at a bit of a loss on how to load Windows' network drivers for the VM's network card.  (It's still yellow-tagged in Device Manager)
  • My VM can see the external USB drive, but it can't see the server's disks- probably because of the missing network port driver?

Am I overlooking something, because I'm thinking this probably isn't the chicken/egg condundrum I'm making it...?

Edited by johnny121b

Here are some basic steps to take.

you need to go into device manager and install the driver from the mounted virtio-win-0.1.126-2.iso file.

right click on the network card in device manager and update the driver.  Select the DVD drive where the iso is mounted and allow it to search through the dvd for the right driver.  

• Upvote 1