[SOLVED] Is replacing a Dell R410, A Family PC, and a RAQ550 on an i7700 possible at all?

karldonteljames

Good evening everyone.

I'm after some advice please. I hope this post makes sense, and ANY advice is much appreciated.

Current Setup:

At the moment i have a number of machines in my cupboard that are running.

1 * Family computer : Core i3-2100 / 8Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD (windows 10)

1 * Dell R410 Server: 32Gb RAM / 2 * E5520 / 4 * 6tb Drives - (raid 5 on an H700 card) / 1* 120gb SSD + 1*160 2.5" HDD. (Server 2012) - This is running three hyper-V machines, 1 for downloading media, 1 as a webserver, and 1 minecraft server for my children. - This is also used a backup target (NAS basically) for my Media Center -

1 * Media Center: Intel Core i7-5820k / 64Gb RAM / 8 HDD's of varying sizes holding music, pfamily pictures and other media the family watch / (Running Windows 7) / connected to my TV, and serves media to my children's 360's (hence windows 7), and the tv in bedroom all via emby.

RAQ550 as a firewall.

I'd like to keep my media center as I love the way it works as the moment; HOWEVER When the 360's are replaced windows 7 can be replaced with a newer OS, as long as it connects to the TV in my living room and runs an emby theatre, i'm not fussed.)

The Hardware:

I've got a new a 2u case with 8 * removable drive bays on the front, obviously I'm going to utilise the existing 6tb drives I have in the R410 in my newbuild, but i was thinking of purchasing the following:
Intel Core I7-7700K 4.20 GHz Socket 1151 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Asus Intel TUF Z270 MARK 1 LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard

G.Skill Flare X 32GB Kit DDR4 2133MHz RAM

I have a quad port NIC i'm planning on putting in the new build.

The Requirements:

Be my family PC,

Be a backup target for my media machine,

Run a vm for downloading and managing media, (media center master)

Run a vm for minecraft (possibly but they don't use this very often so might lose that!)

Run a vm for a basic webserver i use for hosting my wifes blog, (few hits) and a reverse proxy server,

Run a vm for PFSense.

Is it possible to migrate my Hyper-V machines to unraid at all?

I'm happy to swap the RAM out of my media center into this so it has 64gb RAM.

I would even consider setting up unraid on my existing media center to split load it into an emby server and a simple media playback machine connected to the TV in my livingroom.

Thank you!

Edited by karldonteljames

I agree that you should leave the media centre the way it is for now. You can definitely put unRAID on the R410 however you will most likely have to replace the H700 with something that can do JBOD as unRAID is software RAID not hardware RAID which is what you currently have. You can create virtual machines un unRAID there are many posts about that. You can most likely replace your media download VM with dockers in unRAID, and you can most definitely do a VM for Pfsense as well. I think converting your media PC to unRAID is a project for down the road, but you can run Emby as a docker in unRAID too.

Thanks. I want to replace the R410 as the fans are a little noisy in my litlte cupboard. so i've ordered the hardware i outlined above. The motherboard I've ordered has six sata headers on it, so that'll get me going. i'll have six network ports on the new machine, so my plan is to use three directly for PFsense, (red/green/orange) and then share the others between unraid and the VM's. I assume unraid supports internal vlans? Once i'm done i'll be selling the R410.

All setup and currently running four VM's:

One family computer

One media sorter and download machine

One Reverse Proxy Server

One Windows Deployment Server

Hardware as above. The i7=7700k does have some "temperature" anomalies whereby it will spike by 20-30degreess when a new process starts, but this is literally for a couple of seconds, and Intel has acknowledged this.But overall very happy with the rig.

Currently running

2*250gb SSD's (Cache)

4*4tb WD RED

4*6tb WD RED drives will be added this week, with 2 of them for parity.

Unraid has a little learning curve, but with the simplicity of the browser, it isn't too bad. These forums are really helpful.The last of my data is being copied from the R410 over the next couple of days.

The biggest benefit for me?

The R410 was pulling around 130w and the family computer around 75w, the new unraid server with more total drives, more ram, and a better CPU is only pulling around 100w under load.

Just in the process of ordering unraid pro now, to run on this setup, but give me expansion for the future.