is running a VM on old systems possible?

since upgrading my old SuperMicro C2SEA based system is going to be quite an undertaking, both time and money wise, I was wondering whether it is possible to run a simple VM on my old system if I don't need to take advantage of all the new technologies such as direct hardware access, etc.?

if all I want to do is to have access to a desktop GUI to run, say, a proper GUI file-manager, would that be possible? I know that I can run Dockers to achieve file-management, and I have been running Krusader to do all of my data-shuffling when converting my entire array from ReiseFS to XFS, but little issues like losing the progress report window when clicking on the wrong portion of the window, for example, made me wonder whether there may be better options for such software when running a simple Linux desktop, maybe.

or maybe there aren't any better options than the Krusader file-manager, which seems like a very powerful solution to me, and running even a simple VM would be more trouble than it's worth for those type of operations?

it would be great to know about whether it is possible or not, though...not just a Linux VM, but maybe a Windows Server VM or even a Mac desktop?

I know that a hardware upgrade is pending for me, but if I could get another couple of years out of my system with a simple VM setup, I'd be very happy about that.

My very old Asus P5B supports VT-x, which is what you need for a basic VM without hardware pass-through.  I think the BIOS setting was for Vanderpool technology, which was an early name for Intel Virtualization Technology.  If you can find a similar setting for the C2SEA (you may need to hunt through the manual but from a quick Google it looks like it would be supported), and your CPU supports it, you can give VMs a try.  You'd be accessing the VM via a remote desktop type protocol, but if UI performance isn't an issue then it could work for you.

thanks tdallen!

as it turns out, my memory must be failing me and I just found an older discussion that I started on the same topic, and where I was encouraged to do a simple CPU and RAM + SSD upgrade (for the VM to reside on) in order to run something like the answering user's Windows 7 Pro VM...not a zippy solution, but adequate, apparently...will have to revisit that train of thought.

A Q9650 and another two sticks of 2GB RAM would make a real difference - but it's a legitimate question whether it's worth spending the money at this point.  I've gotten a few years out of my Q9550 and RAM upgrade, so I guess it was worthwhile.  I've had a few "why did I throw money at this old system" moments, though.

I guess my reasoning to throw money at my old system would be that my unRAID system is hosted remotely, and even if I put together a powerful new platform with direct hardware access, I couldn't really utilise it in a manner that would justify the expense, atm.

In essence, my unRAID operates like a glorified NAS...speed, as such, is a minor consideration for me...it is reliability, room to grow with my growing data-storage needs, and the unRAID community which are of primary concern to me.

with that said, throwing another couple hundred bucks at it, instead of spending $1K+ and a couple of time--intensive weeks, is the more tempting (and probably reasonable) solution, in my mind, atm.

so, do you or anyone who reads this know whether a Mac VM desktop is a possibility? since I am so much more invested in a Mac workflow than anything else, that would be my preferred solution.