Upgrade Time

On 11/13/2017 at 3:40 PM, t33j4y said:

Adrian, if you go for rebranded LSI controllers, be sure to check the advice given to me by johnnie.black in this thread:

The controllers arrive. They are all new LSI SAS 9207-8i, not re-branded. So I should be good to use like they come?

Got my server upgraded a few days ago. So far so good. I had forgotten that I was using 4 onboard sata ports so I was short 1 SAS cable. I have all 3 LSI controllers installed, but one of them is not being used until the cable arrives. I have to run a comparison test with a friend that has a similar build as my "old" setup, but it seems to take a bit to start up. I think just on the LSI posting, it takes about 2 minutes. I replaced 2 of the rear fans in the Norco and cooling seems a bit better. I need to check what fans it has in the middle and see if I can get something beefier. Sound isn't an issue as it's in my mini-server room in the basement, so might pop in some 100+ CFM fans. IPMI works great. I got the plugin installed and that's working great too.

My next stage is to complete the conversion to XFS from ReiserFS and address some of the older/smaller drives that are starting to report issues at the same time. I have 4x 4TB HGST NAS drives on their way which were down to $90 this week. I do have 1 drive being reported to have an HPA partition enabled. I was trying to find out how to get the correct value to set, but I don't see anything in the logs as I saw in the posts I found. It's a 2TB drive that's probably getting replaced, so not going to stress over it, but would still like to know.