kit17

Installing Nvidia driver on the unRAID host OS

I am planning to install the Nvidia driver on the unRAID host OS to use the nvidia-docker.

But it seems that I am the first person to do this, I encountered a few problems that even Google couldn't help.

I cannot install Nvidia driver on unRAID.

I downloaded a .run file from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html.

The installer requires a few packages, "binutils", "GNU make" and "gcc".

I downloaded these packages from https://packages.slackware.com, and ran "installpkg" for each of them.

All of them output the same error "ldconfig: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error".

Although error occurred, I still tried to run the installer again, then it said it cannot find the kernel header file.

ERROR: The kernel header file '/lib/modules/4.9.30-unRAID/source/include/linux/kernel.h' does not exist.  The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source path                             

'/lib/modules/4.9.30-unRAID/source' is incorrect.  Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux        

systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM installed.  If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source     

path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.

Then I installed the package "kernel-headers", it still gave the same errors.

So I tried to run "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-384.98.run --kernel-source-path </path/to/source>" to point it to the specific directory:

First I tried "--kernel-source-path /usr/include/linux", error occurred,

ERROR: The kernel header file '/usr/include/linux/include/linux/kernel.h' does not exist....(Same as above)

then I tried "--kernel-source-path /usr", error occurred,

ERROR: The kernel source path '/usr' is invalid....(Same as above)

Because the installer will locate the kernel source from "/lib/modules/4.9.30-unRAID/source" by default,

so I copied "/usr/include" to "/lib/modules/4.9.30-unRAID/source" and run the installer again without any parameters, but still fail,

ERROR: Unable to determine the version of the kernel sources located in '/lib/modules/4.9.30-unRAID/source'....(Same as above)

The problems are:

How to properly install the packages "binutils", "GNU make" and "gcc" and "kernel-headers" without "ldconfig: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error"?

How to let the Nvidia driver installer determine the version of the kernel source? (Or is it due to the "Exec format error"?)

1 hour ago, kit17 said:

Exec format error

Generally means that you're trying to run a 32 bit executable.  unRaid is not compiled to support 32 bit binaries.

3 hours ago, Squid said:

Generally means that you're trying to run a 32 bit executable.  unRaid is not compiled to support 32 bit binaries.

I don't remember whether ldconfig is installed by me or the system.

So how to get rid of the error? Is there a 64-bit version ldconfig?

You need to download and install the 64-bit packages. The easy way is to install the plugin called Dev Tool. It should have all the packages you mention.