Consolidating my unRAID PC and a DL380 G7 and then mining on a VM

J89eu

Hi all

I currently run a random spare part unRAID NAS which works great and a separate DL380 G7 which runs stuff I could run in docker containers like Plex, Radarr etc and also pfSense and a Windows 10 VM that mines crypto. 

This uses a good chunk of electricity and I think I can sell the DL380 and put the money into buying a Ryzen box that will do everything for me at a much nicer electricity cost.

My end goal is to build an unRAID server runs the same disks but also runs the following as docker containers:

• Plex
  • Sonarr
  • Radarr
  • Letsencrypt
  • DuckDNS
  • Deluge
  • SabNZBD
  • Ombi

Windows 10 VM running Monero mining on a GPU

So far I have put together this list of parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£239.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.28 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£128.36 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£175.19 @ Alza) 
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB Video Card  (£428.99 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Other: LSI LSI00194 - SAS 9211-8I SGL  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Total: £996.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-09 11:09 GMT+0000

All the purchased kit is that, purchased already. I would probably buy the GPU later once I got this off the ground and working and replace the pfSense box with a Unifi Security Gateway as I imagine running pfSense on unRAID isn't the best thing to do!

What do you guys think? Can I achieve this with the parts or at all with unRAID?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 11:12 AM, J89eu said:

1 would probably buy the GPU later once I got this off the ground and working and replace the pfSense box with a Unifi Security Gateway as I imagine running pfSense on unRAID isn't the best thing to do!

What do you guys think? Can I achieve this with the parts or at all with unRAID?

I wouldn't knock running pfsense in a VM - many users including me have done it successfully, and the only drawback I have is that because unRAID does some checks at bootup that require connectivity, my bootup times are around 15 minutes - which means devices have no connectivity for this long.  If you don't reboot often, then this isn't a problem.  The advantage of running in a VM is pfsense doesn't need a lot of power - I've only assigned 2 cores and I could probably get away with 1 for the VM.  My dual nic only cost me £60.

Otherwise, your system is more than powerful enough to meet your needs althoguh I'd check on the latest unRAID ryzen support.

On 12/2/2017 at 4:43 AM, DZMM said:

I wouldn't knock running pfsense in a VM - many users including me have done it successfully, and the only drawback I have is that because unRAID does some checks at bootup that require connectivity, my bootup times are around 15 minutes - which means devices have no connectivity for this long.  If you don't reboot often, then this isn't a problem.  The advantage of running in a VM is pfsense doesn't need a lot of power - I've only assigned 2 cores and I could probably get away with 1 for the VM.  My dual nic only cost me £60.

Otherwise, your system is more than powerful enough to meet your needs althoguh I'd check on the latest unRAID ryzen support.

i believe you can change the docker start/check time in newer versions of unraid, allowing pfsense to boot first, then allow dockers to mount and run checks. (it's an app or plugin, i don't remember) Your long boot times are probably from multiple docker apps trying to autostart one at a time, looking for the network, then having to time out after not finding it (or at least that seems to be a common reason for it.)

I'll have another go disabling docker autostart, but I'm sure I've tried this in the past and it didn't work.

The problem for me is I need some dockers to autostart e.g. unifi, mariadb, mineos, tvheadend in case there's a crash or powercut when I'm not home as the rest of the family need them.

6 hours ago, DZMM said:

I'll have another go disabling docker autostart, but I'm sure I've tried this in the past and it didn't work.

The problem for me is I need some dockers to autostart e.g. unifi, mariadb, mineos, tvheadend in case there's a crash or powercut when I'm not home as the rest of the family need them.

Look into (I can’t remeber the name of the ) app.  Search the apps “store” something like socket autoatart....I believe you can add a default delay on the start, which then lets the pfsense vm load first. I’d know and use it if I was on higher 6.2.4 (iirc it requires 6.3.x minimum)

54 minutes ago, 1812 said:

Look into (I can’t remeber the name of the ) app.  Search the apps “store” something like socket autoatart....I believe you can add a default delay on the start, which then lets the pfsense vm load first. I’d know and use it if I was on higher 6.2.4 (iirc it requires 6.3.x minimum)

I think you mean CA Docker Autostart Manager.  I hadn't considered using that way (currently I use it to ensure dockers start in right order), but it didn't solve my problem - I tried telling the first docker in the sequence to see if it could reach the unRAID IP before launching.  I think the docker update check is independent of when dockers start.