Totally Confused:

OK, this is a little more complicated than I thought. Running 5.0

Left my server to copy all files off so I can rebuild it. Turns out not all of the files copied so I tried to reboot it again. Turns out there are two failed disks, a 500 and a 2TB.

The 500 shows up to be assigned but the server does not give me the option to start with the too many missing/wrong disk error. I can assign it and the button turns blue.

I bought a 4TB figuring that I could replace the 2TB and then there would be just one missing disk after a rebuild but when I exchanged the 2TB disk for the 4TB, it says, WRONG.

The first pic is how the server boots up. The second pic shows that it sees the failed 500 but won't use it.

Because of their rarity, 500GB disks cost more than the 4TB drive.

Do I need to replace the 500Gb with another 500GB?

Is there a way to replace the 2TB with the 4TB and start the array?

How can I start this array long enough to copy the rest of the data off the array so I can rebuild it.

Thank you for any help. Remember this is version 5.0

EDIT: Can I just remove the 500GB from the array and then replace the 2TB with the 4TB and have the parity drive rebuild?

Thanks again.

1.png

Edited by Windlasher
1 minute ago, Windlasher said:

Where do I find the SMART report?

https://wiki.lime-technology.com/Troubleshooting#Obtaining_a_SMART_report

1 minute ago, Windlasher said:

Does this mean that there is no way to read the data off the remaining GOOD drives?

No, it's not a problem to read the data from the good drives, depending on how bad the failing disks are there's still a chance to recover their data also, if you just want to start the array with the good disks and forget about the data in the failed disks let me now and I'll tell you what to do.

10 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

https://wiki.lime-technology.com/Troubleshooting#Obtaining_a_SMART_report

No, it's not a problem to read the data from the good drives, depending on how bad the failing disks are there's still a chance to recover their data also, if you just want to start the array with the good disks and forget about the data in the failed disks let me now and I'll tell you what to do.

Disk 8 seems to want to let me reassign it but disk 10 doesn't show up at all. So lets just forget about it for now. Assuming I want to start the array by assigning disk 8 because it will let and and leave disk 10 out, what do I do?

Thank you very much for your help.

If disk8 is bad it may still crap out later, I would like to at least see a SMART report, but if you want to proceed and forget about data on disk10, do this:

-Utils -> New Config
-assign all disks, double check parity disk is in the parity slot, remaining disks you can use any order you like
-start the array, a parity sync will begin, data on all data disks should be accessible

30 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

If disk8 is bad it may still crap out later, I would like to at least see a SMART report, but if you want to proceed and forget about data on disk10, do this:

-Utils -> New Config
-assign all disks, double check parity disk is in the parity slot, remaining disks you can use any order you like
-start the array, a parity sync will begin, data on all data disks should be accessible

Tried to get a SMART log but for some reason I can't log onto the server. Getting Connection refused. Tried it from a Mac and a PC using several utilities. Oh, well. Ill give it a try. Probably lose some data but thats what I get for not monitoring the server better. I don't use it that often and I should have replaced the 500 when it went out instead of just shutting it down.

One more question, will adding the new drive in place of the failed 2TB drive when I do the new config have any advantage or just leave it alone?

Edited by Windlasher