Plex/Unraid Question (Trying to future think a build)

I am changing from my AMD FX-8150 build to an Intel for added hardware transcoding capabilities. Can someone please verify that this hardware setup will work:

*Also will run about 6 VMs ranging from Linux to Windows Server 2012

Proposed build:
Intel I7-6700K (Passmark 11109)
ASUS STRIX B250H Gaming LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard w/ Onboard HD GPU
32GB DDR4 RAM
36TB HDD array + 512GB SSD
2x R9-270X in SLI link config

Current Build:
AMD FX-8150 VT/IOMMU enabled
Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard (no onboard gpu)
24GB DDR3 RAM
24TB HDD array + 512GB SSD
2x R9-270X in SLI Link Config

Side note,  I did post in the Plex Forums as well with no response.   Was hoping someone here would have some advice.   I am using a Core X9 Thermaltake case with added HDD rack with plenty of cooling, a 1200watt PSU, and would like to get away from AMD as power consumption for utilization makes no sense anymore with AMD.   I can go server or desktop grade board/cpu if anyone wants to suggest a different mobo/cpu combo to best suite my requirements.

I do plan on adding more RAM and I am ok with Ryzen now that the major bugs are resolved.    Perhaps the R7 1700?  

The VMs are not all on at the same time,   most I run is 3 and its for testing software configurations etc.   One runs all the time for background low process apps.

1 hour ago, fmp4m said:

In the opinion of the experts here,  is it worth it to get the threadripper 1900 over the R7 1700?

Are you planning on running multiple NVME drives and or a bunch of PCI-E passthrough? Threadripper is great for the PCI-E lanes and a little higher overclock. To me it wouldn’t be worth it, but for your case it might be a good fit. Now remember an x399 board costs around $250-$350. So if you are budget conscious it is something to consider. So a 1700 with a decent board x370 will run you a little under the threadripper price alone. 

Thank you for the information,  I picked up a R7 1700, Taichi x370 mobo, and 32gb ddr4.  

This kept me right in line with the budget and after phbigred pointing out the PCIe/NVME really being the only benefit to threadripper,  I will wait to upgrade if they prove necessary later.

Now I am running on the new setup however,  my display seems to be locked at 800x600 which is annoying.   Will try to figure that out after updating unraid to 6.4 to accommodate the Ryzen.

Ok,  updated the Unraid version and have the R7 1700 running at 3.4Ghz all cores stable.    Display is still stuck at 800x600 with the same video cards as before,  so I am unsure what that issue is.    Since it is unrelated to this thread,  I will start another for hardware/software config support.  Thank you all for your help!