Which VM File Standards Are Supported?

Morning,

I have a Win 7 install on an OCZ PCIe SSD disk that I want to turn into an unRAID VM, but that drive is not recognized under Linux. I've read the excellent tutorial here:

https://wiki.lime-technology.com/UnRAID_Manual_6#Physical_to_Virtual_Machine_Conversion_Process

using the command:

qemu-img convert -p -O /dev/sdX /mnt/cache/domains/vdisk1.img

All that is straight forward, but the PCIe SSD drive cannot be seen in Linux and this method will not work. Neither will transferring the PCIe drive to the unRAID server for the same reason.

That leaves me with using a third party program to export the Win7 VM to a compatible VM file for unRAID, but I don't see a list of acceptable VM file formats. I don't mind spending a few bucks on a third party convertor utility, but I need to know what VM file formats are supported before I proceed. 

Cheers.

The unRAID format is RAW(IMG) and QCOW2 in the GUI.  But you can load other formats.  I have used VMDK and I have seen other posts saying VHD or VDI works from Virtual Box.  For other types than the TWO that unRAID supports you just say manual and paste in the path to the image file.  So for my VMDK I pasted in the following path:

/mnt/cache/VMs/VMDKs/vdisk.vmdk

Obviously that path is unique to my system since I'm not using default value for VM path.

Edited by BobPhoenix
  • Like 1