(Solved) Is It possible to swap out old pci-e 8 port card and replace with new one??

numpkin

Hi Folks,

Just got me a couple of sata III 8 port cards to replace my existing one's and was wondering if it's a simple matter of "shutting down

the server, removing the card then replacing with a new one"?.....

Or is there more to it

regards and thanks for reading .....

---

numpkin

Edited by numpkin
Update and Solved

If the new cards report the disk serial numbers in the same way as the previous one then it is really easy as it is just a case of swapping the drives to the new cards. 

However it is a good idea to have a screen shot of the Main page just in case the new cards report serial numbers differently so that you have to do a New Config and then re-assign the drives to the correct slots to get back to the previous working state.

43 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If the new cards report the disk serial numbers in the same way as the previous one then it is really easy as it is just a case of swapping the drives to the new cards. 

However it is a good idea to have a screen shot of the Main page just in case the new cards report serial numbers differently so that you have to do a New Config and then re-assign the drives to the correct slots to get back to the previous working state.

Hi itimpi,

thanks for the quick reply ....

Always best to check first with an experienced user, yea already got screen shots so no problem there .....

i'll give it a whirl ......

regards

---

numpkin

34 minutes ago, numpkin said:

Hi itimpi,

thanks for the quick reply ....

Always best to check first with an experienced user, yea already got screen shots so no problem there .....

i'll give it a whirl ......

regards

---

numpkin

Ok Tried both Cards no joy ...

for some reason the CPU Fan Will NOT start mmmmmm.......

regards

---

numpkin

• numpkin changed the title to (Solved) Is It possible to swap out old pci-e 8 port card and replace with new one??

Again Hi Folks,

Sorry not answered any replies for the last couple of days .....

Working out the problem, now solved .... explanation:-

I bought ready flashed Dell H310 (8 port) card from e-bay.

Installed this card into what I calling my "ur-03 Test Server" the mb is an old Asus M3A78-T 8gig ram and a couple of 1 & 2 TB hdd's.

As this board has built-in VGA, I placed the card into the PCIEX16, connected the cables booted up the machine and started unRaid V6.3.5

On this assumption (rightly or wrongly) I purchased 2 more of these cards from the same seller ....

So now I have 2 more Dell H310 cards to be installed into my "unRaid Working Servers"  I'll call them UR-01 & UR-02 (corny I know) which have installed 8-Port Pci-e card.

First UR-02 Server:-

GigaByte GA-Z77-D3H, Intel® Core™ i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 16Gig ram installed with Dual Parity 4TB, a mixture of 6  HDD's 1TB, 2TB & 4TB.

Removed existing card, which was installed in the PCIEX4 slot, replaced with Dell H310 in the same slot ........

Switch on machine, fan on CPU fails to start (hence my 2nd post earlier)

removed the card, replaced with card previous card boot machine , every back to normal ...... contacted seller, gave me some info to follow,

including using electrical tape to block pins B5-B6 "Trick" on the card (but fiddly for me) managed to do this.

Booted machine everything seems fine .. ran the GUI from another machine .... ALL disks attached to the new card "NOT FOUND" back again to the seller, asked if this card had been tried in ur-03 machine (remember that way back), removed card and re-slotted into ur-02, started ur-02, everything worked !!!! strange.

did the same with with the 3 card which upto now hadn't been unpacked yet. when tried, this worked on ur-03 out of the package. mmmm

Then suddenly after a lot of e-mails back and forth, head scratching "The Lightbulb Flashed".

Whats the difference between the PCI-e slots on the motherboards.

ALL cards tested in ur-03 machine where fitted into PCI-e 1 (Graphics Slot) card in Gigabyte MB was not, ok re-seat into PCI-e 1 ......

started up the machine, everything seems as previous working, check the GUI, Wow ALL drives show up ...... So this machine fixed, hence the SOLVED in the title .......

O nearly forgot ur-01, which upto now had not been opened:-

GigaByte GC-970-A-DS3, AMD FX™-6300 Six-Core @ 3500 16Gig mem installed and as ur-02 Dual Parity 4TB, a mixture of 6  HDD's 1TB, 2TB & 4TB.

This machine was boring, fitted the card into PCI-e1 slot, ("Without the B5/B6 Trick") booted the machine, everything working as normal .....

Right if you got this far, well thanks......

Regards all

---

numpkin

Edited by numpkin
Wrong version No
3 hours ago, zzgus said:

Do the system start but the cpu fan doesn’t work or the system doesn’t start???

I had to mask 2 pins from my dell perc flashed to IT mode or the computer didn’t start.

Hope it helps

Gus

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

Hi zzgus

Thanks for that, see latest post, cheers

Regards

---

numpkin

On 26/10/2017 at 10:27 PM, Frank1940 said:

If you have the case open, give it a flip as soon as you push the power switch on the case.  If it starts and runs, you have a bad fan.  (A decade +/- a couple of years ago, I had a CPU cooler fan that won't start.  I measured its size and purchased a replacement that worked until I finally retired the computer.) 

Hiya Frank,

Thanks for the reply.

See my latest post ......

Regards

---

numpkin