Recommended virus scanners inside Windows 10 VMs?

remati

Not sure if there is a list of recommended virus scanner software for use inside Windows VMs. Last time I ran one (Avast in 2016) it would completely take down my Unraid server. Is that still the case with the current versions or is there a better virus scanner to use. Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, itimpi said:

I never see much value over using anything other than Windows Defender which has minimal impact and comes as standard with Windows.

I agree.  I used to source AVs for ISPs and I stopped bothering other than providing a 'hygiene' service once Windows got their act together.  You can buy something like Kaspersky for 99.999% protection but windows built-in at 99.99% is more than adequate IMO

3 minutes ago, BRiT said:

One might want to read up on the allegations that Kaspersky has backdoors allowing foreign governments to abuse, before opting to install their products.

no evidence other than they are a 'Russian' company so they must be suspect:

https://www.wired.com/story/why-the-us-government-shouldnt-ban-kaspersky-security-software/

I bet in Russia they say 'Google is evil'

Same problem in the UK with Huawei - BT did significant due dilligence (and took a few precautions) before letting them play a key role in the 21C network development

20 minutes ago, BRiT said:

One might want to read up on the allegations that Kaspersky has backdoors allowing foreign governments to abuse, before opting to install their products.

I'd be just as worried (if not more) with domestic (US) companies having to comply with secret FISA orders

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DZMM said:

no evidence other than they are a 'Russian' company so they must be suspect:

https://www.wired.com/story/why-the-us-government-shouldnt-ban-kaspersky-security-software/

Exactly, which is why I used the term allegations and didn't say one should absolutely not use them, instead I leave it up to everyone else to be aware, seek out information and then make their own informed decision based on their own comfort level.