Unmountable disk(s) present

cybrey

I had an unmountable disk (2TB) present which I thought was a dead disk. So I precleared a new 3TB disk and went to add it in to replace the disk. I now have a completely different 2TB showing as unmountable and the new 3TB disk is also showing the same. 

I have done some reading around but I'm a bit of a loss what to do. Attached is the output from the diagnostics. I've also run reiserfsck --check which has shown 0 errors. 

image.thumb.png.79afa8a989a4991972af21ef514f5e42.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20171021-1305.zip

I dropped disk7 back in and rebooted. It wasn't visible at all. 

I then powered the machine down, removed the old disk7 and put the new 3TB disk in. The WebGui won't come up now. 

On watching the boot there is a significant delay with the following message "ata10: COMRESET failed.. retrying". 

SMART looks fine, there are a few CRC errors, so disk2 most likely went offline due to a bad cable or connection, you may want to replace it also just to rule it out.

Now if old disk7 is dead your options are limited, you can try this, it should work but it may not depending on the sequence of events that left you with the two invalid disks, but first you need to update unRAID, you're running a very old release that has a trust parity bug, so first update to v6.3.5, reboot, confirm that you're now on v6.3.5 and then do this:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply

-check all assignments and if needed assign any missing disk(s), use the new 3TB disk for disk7

-check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" before starting the array

-start the array

-stop array, unassign disk7

-start array, check that disk2 and emulated disk7 mount and contents look correct

-if either fails to mount grab and post new diags, if both mount proceed

-stop array, reassign disk7

-start array to begin rebuild

I posted to stop if one the disks was unmountable, but it's not a problem to continue, just no point in rebuilding if the filesystem is unfixable, though since it's reiser it should be fixable, let the rebuild finish, and then run reiserfsck on disk7:

-stop the array

-start the array in maintenance mode

-on the console type:

reiserfsck /dev/md7

Post the output if in doubt on how to proceed.