Migrating from Debian to unRaid

Hi guys,

I'm currently planning on switching from Debian to unRaid but I still have a few questions before ordering some stuff including the unRaid licence.

1. I plan to start out with one SSD (250GB Samsungs 850 Evo) as a cache-drive and I have 8 HDDs at the beginning (different sizes ranging from 3TB to 8TB), what extimated transferrates can I expect when connected through 1GBit network?
  2. Can I somehow control how data is stored? I plan to use usershares for stuff like my movies, series, holiday pictures and what not, expecially regarding the series. I want to save all the seasons of a series on one HDD, so that no splitting up on more HDDs when a new season is added would happen?
  3. How well are log-reports when e.g. a SMART-Check on one HDD has some warnings/errors?
  4. How exactly are user-permissions handled? (couldn't find any proper video showing this)

That's it for now, there might arise new questions in the next couple of days.

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Dr_Cox1911 said:

Can I somehow control how data is stored? I plan to use usershares for stuff like my movies, series, holiday pictures and what not, expecially regarding the series. I want to save all the seasons of a series on one HDD, so that no splitting up on more HDDs when a new season is added would happen?

Split levels to tell unRaid to keep certain levels of subfolders together on the same drive

39 minutes ago, Dr_Cox1911 said:

How exactly are user-permissions handled? (couldn't find any proper video showing this)

Per share basis.

Public - Everyone has RW access

Secure - Everyone has read-only access, certain users have RW access

Private - Only certain users have read only, certain users have RW.  Other users have no access

Additionally, shares can be set to be "hidden" which won't display them when browsing through the network unless you know the name of them.

41 minutes ago, Dr_Cox1911 said:

How well are log-reports when e.g. a SMART-Check on one HDD has some warnings/errors?

If you set up notifications, you'll be emailed (or via push-bullet etc on your phone) when certain attributes on drives change.

Thanks for the quick reply Squid!

Just found the rather well written unofficial unRaid manual on the wiki, perfect explanation of the split levels there. Guess I should have looked there first, because I couldn't find anything useful using google.

Regarding the emailed logs: Do you happen to have an example notification for drive failure? Reason for asking: right now with Debian it's a hassle to get all the needed log-info in case a drive misbehaved somehow. I need to check if it might the controller that caused the error, or the drive itself. If unRaid would send detailed notifications it would save massive amounts of hours.

EDIT: One more question, this one is regarding the USB-drive. Should I get a USB3 one (like the 16 GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit Ultra USB 3.0) or a USB2 one (like 

16 GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0)?

Edited by Dr_Cox1911
31 minutes ago, Dr_Cox1911 said:

Regarding the emailed logs: Do you happen to have an example notification for drive failure? Reason for asking: right now with Debian it's a hassle to get all the needed log-info in case a drive misbehaved somehow. I need to check if it might the controller that caused the error, or the drive itself. If unRaid would send detailed notifications it would save massive amounts of hours.

It's not a log per se.  Rather its that such and such drive now has x number of reallocated sectors, drive x has been disabled due to a write failure, etc.  You'd still need to investigate (especially for a disabled drive) why it became disabled - a legitimate write failure, the controller kicked it due to cabling, etc.

33 minutes ago, Dr_Cox1911 said:

One more question, this one is regarding the USB-drive. Should I get a USB3 one (like the 16 GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit Ultra USB 3.0) or a USB2 one (like 

16 GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0)?

Doesn't particularly matter.  Only real time the flash is accessed is at boot time, so the speed increase is negligible.  You will tend to have fewer problems with USB2 ports regardless of whether the drive is USB2/3.  I'm still using a 512Meg USB1 flash drive on one of my servers.