Does unbalance follow rules of share level 3 when transferring files between drives?

jang430

E. G. I am using level 3 share level. I have Media /TV/Show Name/ seasons. All drives have Media /TV/Show Name. Drive 1 is almost full. Want to spread contents to disk 2, 3 and 4. All have the same folder structure. if season 2 of a show already started saving to disk 1, how but since disk 1 is full, how will it treat season 2 when you choose disk 1 to be 'unbalanced'?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The simple answer is no.

The complex answer is your share level 3 (or any share level) only applies to the shares not on the disks itself. If you use a program like midnight commander, dolphin, unbalance or krusader to move episodes or season folders it will be ignoring your share level setting but that is not a bad thing.

With season 2 going onto a nearly full disk, it will continue to be stored there until it hits your disk minimum space setting, then it will start storing the rest of season 2 in another disk. ( this can be a little annoying when you go watching through that season and have to wait for the disk to spin up for the episode to start). It’s best if you shift either a whole tv show or a specific whole season. If the season folder is only on one disk the continuing episodes will be stored on that disk (depending on share level splitting).

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BillClinton I understand your reply based on how OP described it. Maybe my struggles are the same thing but important to be clear on exactly what the source and target are.

On the same server using MC or Krusader, I'm copying from a source that is either /mnt/disks/* (UD plug-in) or /mnt/disk#/ and the target is /mnt/user/targetshare

Is the behavior of share level splitting still ignored? In my experience it is.

If we agree on this, then how would one copy to a target user share that would force the share level spliting?

I just found that UD allows me to easily add a remote SMB share even if it's localhost, would that force it?

BillClinton, thanks, that's clear.  Indeed, in my case, the whole season stays on 1 folder, this is managed by the share level.  Since the drive is almost full, the newly downloaded episodes of that same season stays in the cache drive, which gets full, even if other drives still have space.

Thank you for the reply.

2 hours ago, jang430 said:

BillClinton, thanks, that's clear.  Indeed, in my case, the whole season stays on 1 folder, this is managed by the share level.  Since the drive is almost full, the newly downloaded episodes of that same season stays in the cache drive, which gets full, even if other drives still have space.

Thank you for the reply.

Admittedly I haven't had this issue. My HDDs are filling up fairly evenly. But mine have TV Shows and movies mixing together. I haven't filled a drive to max without dropping in a bigger replacement. I do have my media share to 'Use cache no' though. there is a bit somewhere I have seen where 'prefer' or 'yes' can get a little sticky. I can't remember where i saw it though. I suggest using MC or Unbalance to shift the Season off that disk to help empty the season off your cache.

@Lev when ever I move a file/folder from outside the array (from UD mount or external computer) it works with my split level 3 quite nicely. keeping my tv series seasons together at least. I'm not fussed when a specific tv show is spread over a few disks. As long as the seasons stick together. I'm not sure how yours would be set up to get what your seeing to happen. But I always copy to a share. I have 'share disks over SMB' to no. I have a irrational phobia of accidentally copying from mnt/disk# to mnt/share.

Edited by BillClinton