Torrents - user share vs. cache drive

Smitty2k1

Where do you all keep your active torrent data? A SSD cache drive or a traditional user share on spinning HDDs?

I've always had mine on HDD user shares but now that I've got a 256gb SSD cache I'm thinking about moving them over. Lower power, less wear and tear on the spinny drive.

Also, I copy my completed torrents over to my user shares so I can archive/sort/rename as I please. As it stands right now copying them from the active spinning HDD to a cache (temporary) is pretty slow. My new workflow would have them being copied from cache to cache until the mover moves them later in the evening.

Thoughts? 

I keep my active torrents on a UD mount. Same basic idea as using the cache, but my cache is a little small if I have a lot of torrents. Had some rather severe performance hits trying to keep them on a user share. Would lose connection to the server when files were being moved and torrent downloads were very slow with large numbers of writes to parity protected user share. I think any drive outside the array would work for this. When 1TB+ SSD’s become a little less expensive I’ll probably switch to SSD.

I used to have mine on a spinner cache (750GB) but then i upgraded to a SSD for my cache (275GB) and moved the spinner to a UD mount. Noticed my download/upload speeds increased when I moved it. (My 13 dockers were on the spinner as well, they are on the SSD now). Also I decided there was too much file thrashing with torrents, that’s why I kept them off the SSD. (My SSD isn’t big enough for my needs with torrents). Got most of my torrent needs automated now (sonarr, radarr, deluge, ombi, plex) so the UD to share transfer speeds aren’t bothersome to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk