Moving Drive to new controller

I have two drives that are not assigned to the array, they are on the mobo controller. I have left them unassigned since i am upgrading to a new board/cpu/memory at the end of the year,  to allow for a third 8 port controller. I am finding myself low on space and my question is:

If I assign the drives to the array now, can I move them over to the new controller later without loss of data?

Need more info. What type of controller are you moving the drives to?
If its a Areca you will have problems.
If its a LSI flashed to IT mode you won’t have problems (with some caveats).
If its a Marvell based controller you might have some problems with maybe a drive dropping out and some interference with VMs.
Might even be worthwhile listing the brand/model of the new mobo too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/18/2017 at 12:15 PM, icedragonslair said:

I have two drives that are not assigned to the array, they are on the mobo controller. I have left them unassigned since i am upgrading to a new board/cpu/memory at the end of the year,  to allow for a third 8 port controller. I am finding myself low on space and my question is:

If I assign the drives to the array now, can I move them over to the new controller later without loss of data?

Yes. UnRaid recognizes drives by serial number, and if the drive is connected to a compatible controller or motherboard port, it will be recognized by unRaid regardless of which controller it is connected to at the time. In ancient versions this was not the case, and unRAID was dependent on the physical connection, but it has worked this way for many years.

• Like 1