High Read on one Drive

ajvirus

Hey LT Community!

This recently started happening to one drive. is there any way i can get details as to what is causing all the reads on Disk 6 27million currently in 48 hours. Ive attached a screenshot.
image.thumb.png.a101ae9980767a73e274be183b2c8fbc.png
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
AJ
Active streams plugin or alternatively open files plugin
30 minutes ago, Squid said:
55 minutes ago, ajvirus said:
Hey LT Community!

This recently started happening to one drive. is there any way i can get details as to what is causing all the reads on Disk 6 27million currently in 48 hours. Ive attached a screenshot.
image.thumb.png.a101ae9980767a73e274be183b2c8fbc.png
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
AJ

Active streams plugin or alternatively open files plugin

im sorry im not sure i understand what you mean

11 hours ago, trurl said:

I'm not sure I understand what you don't understand, but on the Apps tab there are Plugins you can install to look at Active Streams and to look at Open Files.

ok i did that, with no dockers/vms running i am averaging 300 reads per second and the active streams are showing 0

The drive is also healthy

On 10/19/2017 at 9:00 AM, trurl said:

And what about Open Files?

You don't have your server exposed to the internet do you?

It is not exposed, its definately a docker. i have moved all configs to my cache drive, still reading one single drive like crazy, but i cant tell which app is killing that single drive because its not showing being "read" in open files

On 10/19/2017 at 9:28 AM, DZMM said:

The File Activity Plugin is also a good one as it shows historical activity as well.  This helped me track down where Radarr was spinning up my drives

When i run this, and set the settings all to "yes" all i see is a blank screen. 

This is very wierd behavior, ive tried reinstalling the dockers and erasing app data but no luck. i moved the app data to cache too....i believe i did it all properly

Just an update....so ive turned dockers to "Off" and VMs to "off"

and im averaging 300 reads/per second.

Ive noticed this in open files still even after both Docker/Vms are off  Any suggestion as to what/why that is doing that?

find 9744 Kill 2 1

/mnt/disk6/Cache Backup/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Serv ...
/mnt/disk6/Cache Backup/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Serv ...

6 hours ago, ajvirus said:

When i run this, and set the settings all to "yes" all i see is a blank screen. 

This is very wierd behavior, ive tried reinstalling the dockers and erasing app data but no luck. i moved the app data to cache too....i believe i did it all properly

you have to increase Max Watches 'fs.inotify.max_user_watches' in the Tips & Tweaks plugin.  I've set mine to 720000

DZMM, that did not let file activity work, still blank.

Docker/VM off, server essentially idle, and the "find" process is scanning just that one drive constantly. new folders every time, new process ID.

any suggestions as to how i can find the "parent" process that is starting find?

On 10/23/2017 at 4:36 PM, Squid said:

Its Dynamix Cache Dirs

Exclude the Cache Backup share from the settings.  (And ideally your appdata share also, since its going to have tons and tons of files that trying to keep track of them all may result in other cached inodes getting dropped.

I tried this, even with dockers off it climbs, now on disk 5/6. would any log/diag info help here?

inotifywait is a program that monitors files / folders for access to them, and then signals another program that something has happened.

I doubt that inotifywait itself is causing the reads.

Where its used off the top of my head:  OpenFiles, Dynamix File Integrity, Ransomware Protection and more, docker apps like Plex, Emby, Crashplan, and many more.

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

inotifywait is a program that monitors files / folders for access to them, and then signals another program that something has happened.

I doubt that inotifywait itself is causing the reads.

Where its used off the top of my head:  OpenFiles, Dynamix File Integrity, Ransomware Protection and more, docker apps like Plex, Emby, Crashplan, and many more.

would any logging help? i dont want to kill the life if my drives from random reads while the server is idle