Unraid Unresponsive

Hi All,

I don't post very often here, so I apologise in advance if some of my terms are noob-like or uncultured.

I have setup Unraid recently on a new build as I've sold off my old hardware to upgrade to a bigger multi-core system.

Shortly after getting everything back up and running, I've noticed that the server randomly stops responding to commands - GUI, Telnet or even directly on the server itself via console command.

I can't for the life of me work out whats going on and I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction to start troubleshooting the issue.

Side Note:-  On the screen itself for the console, the cursor is still flashing like it's available for input but the keyboard doesn't respond.

The issue is encountered after 3 days of up-time, and sometimes can last 9 days without an unresponsiveness.

What logs would I need to obtain, if any, considering that I have to force-reboot the server every time this occurs to get back into Unraid?

Again, I apologise for the very simple post but I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting as it's typically been pretty solid and I've never needed to perform anything like this before.

I hope someone has the time to help guide me on the right path.

Edited by whitey88x

OK, if you push the power button on the server for about one second, it should  initiate a clean shutdown.  (Holding it down for more than three seconds will force an unclean shutdown.)

Second,  You seem to indicate that the server will come out of this 'coma' after a period of time.  Is my assumption of what you wrote true?

You should probably run the memtst program (which is on one the option on the unRAID boot menu) for at least 24 hours. 

Then install the Fix Common Problems plugin and turn on the troubleshooting feature.  That will be writing log files to the logs  folder/directory on your flash drive.  After the problem occurs, post those up on a new post.  You can find the plugin here:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/47266-plugin-ca-fix-common-problems/

Post up the current diagnostics file   ('Tools'   >>>   'Diagnostics' )   and perhaps there might be a clue in there about what is going on. 

Be sure to tell what plugins, Dockers, and VM you are running.  Tell how you are using your system.  Tell of any access that you allow to your server from the Internet.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the tips. Pushing the power button is unresponsive - no commands are received by Unraid.

I physically have to reboot the machine or hard power down.

The system does not come out of its state - it will stay like that forever until I force reset it.

The system was previously used as my primary gaming system with 100% stable memory, however for safety's sake I will heed your advice and run memtst to confirm it's validity.

Alongside that test, I will also install that plugin now and post up the next logs after it fails - expect something in 3-6 days :)

I have attached screenshots of the plugins and dockers I use, however here they are listed for reference sake;

Plugins; Dynamix System Statistics, Dynamix WebGUI, Fix Common Problems, Preclear Disks, Unassigned Deivces, User Scripts

Dockers; NZBGet, Plex, Sonarr, Radarr

I primarily use my system as a Plex server for my friends and family, along with auto-downloader for content. I also have 56TB in the array, using it primarily for media storage however I store several family members data as a backup/redundant source.

The only external access to the server is provided via Plex through a secured port, and NZBGet downloads from usenet servers but doesn't have any remote access or VPN connections enabled.

My array configuration is one parity, and one cache drive. I have an additional SSD dedicated to Plex which is mounted by the plugin Unassigned Devices on start up of the array.

Dockers.PNG

Plugins.PNG

tower-diagnostics-20171018-2148.zip

IF you did a lot of work inside of the case when you made the conversion, make sure that the tabs on the memory are are in their locked position. (Another user had issues  very recently that were traced to this very issue!)  Also make sure that all of the fans are working properly and the CPU heatsink is clean.  I doubt if either of these are the issue but let's get the easy stuff out of the way first before going into the more esoteric stuff...   

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Frank1940 - I think a plugin was the cause of the freezing, and if I had to bet a plugin, it would be Dynamix Stats. (the other installed at the same time was Community Apps, but shouldn't affect anything on a hardware level)

Considering I customised/configured it to run off my old server, I'd say it had something legacy still trying to be referenced from the old system.

I've held off responding as I wanted to give it a good test, but so far I've had 12+ days up-time with no hiccups whatsoever. 

All in all, I think re-installing the Stats plugin (ensuring the config folder is cleared) should restore standard operations however I no longer needed the stats plugin so I'm happy without.

Thanks for your all your help Frank!