Who has a ASROCK EP2C602 with Dual Xeons?

johnvid

Hi there,

I have this board with Dual Xeon processors. Hope someone also has this setup. Because I have some problem with it and I’m hoping to find a solution. 

My problem is with dedicated GPU’s on Virtual Machines. When I start a VM the screen stays black untill Windows loads the GPU drivers. 

Anyone else with this setup got this problem? Would love to know and maybe find the solution for my problem. 

Regards,

John

16 hours ago, johnvid said:

Hi there,

I have this board with Dual Xeon processors. Hope someone also has this setup. Because I have some problem with it and I’m hoping to find a solution. 

My problem is with dedicated GPU’s on Virtual Machines. When I start a VM the screen stays black untill Windows loads the GPU drivers. 

Anyone else with this setup got this problem? Would love to know and maybe find the solution for my problem. 

Regards,

John

Can you be more specific on the issue you are seeing?

What do you mean "until Windows loads the GPU drivers"?

Are you saying that the passthrough doesn't seem to start as soon as it should, but that once Windows drivers load, it works fine?

2 hours ago, SSD said:

Are you saying that the passthrough doesn't seem to start as soon as it should, but that once Windows drivers load, it works fine?

That is correct. Just like a normal computer with 2 GPU cards. 1 card you see the post etc. and the second won’t give any signal until Windows has loaded. 

Only this time it is a VM with 1 dedicated GPU and no VNC in the XML. :(

I have the same board, and have no issues passing through my 2 GPUs to my VMs (Windows 10, OSX). It did take me a lot of experimentation to find GPUs that worked without issue. The ones that I have had success with are in my sig.

I did see the behaviour you are seeing as well with one of my failed attempts, but I'm not sure anymore which card/VM was the troublesome one (or what "fixes" were semi-successful). You may just need to try a different GPU...

Things I tried in order to solve my various GPU issues:

1. Swapping PCI-e slots
  2. Swapping order of GPUs in slots
  3. Loading locally the video ROM
  4. Different drivers
  5. Different kexts/hacks (OSX)
  6. Different versions/settings in boot manager (OSX)
  7. Disable/enable on-board VGA
  8. Unplugging hdmi cable until VM had loaded

I had varying degrees of success with all the above, but at the end of the day, I wanted a fuss-free setup that wouldn't need my intervention, so finding the right video cards was the best course of action for me. There should be a few posts detailing my travels floating around that might give you some more ideas...

Good luck!

Edited by DoeBoye
15 hours ago, DoeBoye said:

Things I tried in order to solve my various GPU issues:

1. Swapping PCI-e slots
  2. Swapping order of GPUs in slots
  3. Loading locally the video ROM
  4. Different drivers
  5. Different kexts/hacks (OSX)
  6. Different versions/settings in boot manager (OSX)
  7. Disable/enable on-board VGA
  8. Unplugging hdmi cable until VM had loaded

Hi DoeBoye,

Thanks for your help but many of the things you mention I’ve tried allready. The strange thing is that it used to work perfectly with the same GPU’s

Your list: (my answers)

1. Swapping PCI-e slots (Done this. No luck)

2. Swapping order of GPU’s in slots (Again no luck)

3. Loading locally the video ROM (What do you mean by that?)

4. Different drivers (How can you do this if Windows is not even loaded yet?)

5. Different kexts/hacks for OSX (Same answer/question as 4)

6. Different versions/settings in boot manager OSX (Before clover bootloader is loaded settings in clover won’t matter)

7. Disable/enable on-board VGA (If I do this there is only 1 GPU left. Can Unraid and a VM Share 1 GPU without problems?)

8. Un-ligging hdmi cable until VM had loaded (Than I also won’t see the VM booting)

Can you explain what you mean with 3, 4 and 7?

On 10/19/2017 at 4:19 AM, johnvid said:

Thanks for your help but many of the things you mention I’ve tried allready. The strange thing is that it used to work perfectly with the same GPU’s

Your list: (my answers)

1. Swapping PCI-e slots (Done this. No luck)

2. Swapping order of GPU’s in slots (Again no luck)

3. Loading locally the video ROM (What do you mean by that?)

4. Different drivers (How can you do this if Windows is not even loaded yet?)

5. Different kexts/hacks for OSX (Same answer/question as 4)

6. Different versions/settings in boot manager OSX (Before clover bootloader is loaded settings in clover won’t matter)

7. Disable/enable on-board VGA (If I do this there is only 1 GPU left. Can Unraid and a VM Share 1 GPU without problems?)

8. Un-ligging hdmi cable until VM had loaded (Than I also won’t see the VM booting)

Can you explain what you mean with 3, 4 and 7?

Hello!

My list wasn't just of things to fix your specific issue, but things I tried to fix all the issues I was having with passing through video. Kind of a trouble shooting bargain bin of things to maybe give you some new ideas for your specific problem.

3: Check out gridrunner's post and youtube video.

4: Doesn't apply for you, as your issue happens before Windows boots up

7: How many discrete video cards do you have? Your earlier post led me to believe you have 2, but your latest response makes me think you have 1 and on-board vga. Is that right? For clarity's sake, include the make and model of Videocard(s) as well.