UNC paths in containers?

This is specific to sagetv, but I am hoping that it will resonate with anyone familiar with defining paths in UNRAID.  I have the sagetv docker set up and able to record from all but one tuner, which does not have native Linux drivers and must therefore run on a Windows VM.  Sagetv Docker is able to find and tune it, but the recording software complains it cannot write to the recordings directory, which is defined in the container as Path 2: /mnt/user/sagemedia/.  The process as I understand it is that SageTV Docker tells the windows software (r5000) what to record and to store it (which somehow becomes /var/media/tv when windows reports "cannot find path specified").  The recording software IS capable of writing to a UNC path, which is \\UNRAID\sagemedia\tv.

I am thinking I need Docker to communicate literally that the file should be written to the UNC path, but when I try to edit Path2 in the container, I get this:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="stuckless-sagetv-server-java8" --net="host" --privileged="true" -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "VERSION"="latest" -e "JAVA_MEM_MB"="768" -e "LICENCE_DATA"="" -e "TCP_PORT_8080"="8080" -e "TCP_PORT_42024"="42024" -e "TCP_PORT_7818"="7818" -e "UDP_PORT_8270"="8270" -e "UDP_PORT_31100"="31100" -e "TCP_PORT_31099"="31099" -e "UDP_PORT_16867"="16867" -e "UDP_PORT_16869"="16869" -e "TCP_PORT_16881"="16881" -e "OPT_GENTUNER"="Y" -e "OPT_COMMANDIR"="N" -e "OPT_COMSKIP"="Y" -e "OPT_SETPERMS"="Y" -e "OPT_LIRC"="N" -v "/mnt/user/appdata/sagetv/":"/opt/sagetv":rw -v "\\UNRAID\sagemedia\tv":"/var/media":rw -v "/mnt/user/media/videos/":"/var/mediaext":rw -v "/mnt/user":"/unraid":rw stuckless/sagetv-server-java8

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: create UNRAIDsagemedia v: "\UNRAID\sagemedia\tv" includes invalid characters for a local volume name, only "[a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9_.-]" are allowed.
See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

The command failed.

It's been about a week of zero progress, so I am very open to solutions that have nothing to do with this, but this is where my research has led me. TIA

Don't know anything about sagetv, but a docker container cannot have a host mount that is a UNC path. The underlying system doesn't understand UNC paths as they are windows specific. The best you can do is to have Unassigned Disks mount the UNC path, then the docker mount it as a slave mount.

I don't use this option either, but might solve your problem.

I made an attempt but to be honest I'm confused about what unassigned devices does that I can't already do. With UD, I was able to create a new share that was assigned a UNC path, but my unraid shares were already reachable that way.   I am looking for a way to provide the sagetv docker with a host path to a folder in a syntax that a Windows VM can also see 

Unless sagetv have a setting to tell the windows software the network path, I don't see other options than either ditching the windows only tuner or move sagetv to windows to use all tuners. 

You will not be able to fix this by trying to add a network path in the container setup. It's not supported to use a network path directly in a volume mount. 

Sagetv docker has a properties file where you can define a lot of different things including some that would seem to solve this. There is even one called "forced Linux prefix" for storage paths. However,  no matter what I do the primary issue seems to be that the tuner wants to speak windows and the docker wants to speak Linux.