What Extra Hardware Do I Need for 2 in 1 Gaming?

Harridi

You would need two video cards which I'm not thinking your micro ATX is going to support. 8G RAM is not enough, probably need 20G minimum (8G each for VMs + 4 for unRaid). Although I'd recommend 32G+. 4 cores (only 3 available for VMs) is not optimal.

I'm far from a gaming rig expert, but think if you want a serous 2 in 1 gaming rig, you're unfortunately going to be doing major upgrades. 6 or 8 cores, bigger motherboard able to support 2 x8 PCIe 3.0 video cards, good cooling, beefy PSU.

If the goal is much more modest, you might squeeze a video card into an x1 slot and run games in lower res settings and get something running. I still think 8G would not be enough.

Thank you for the reply..

We're not a kind of serious gamer... so entry level gaming would be enough,

From your explanation, it would be enough (to try at least) if I add more ram.

How about the drive? Do I need extra SSD? or should I add more HDD? or partition would be enough?

btw, my PSU currently 500w

Thank you for the reply 

From your suggestion here's the upgrade I should have:

Better processor (min. 8 core) 

Motherboard with multiple x8 PCI-E 3.0 

A Couple more ram (about 20 gig) 

New vga

2 ssd and 1 hdd

(So that would make me have 2 hdd and 1 ssd) 

How about networking? Should I have multiple lan card or wifi adapter? 

Actually unRaid "array" requirement can be met with 1 hard disk - or even 1 USB thumbdrive.

20G would give 8G to each VM, and 4G to unRAID. I can't say that is enough. Depends on games. If you know Windows with 8G is sufficient for games, I'd suggest 8G from unRAID to be sure. So 24G.

One SSD should be enough. So long as enough space for both Windows images. I'd suggest probably 250G or 500G. Or duals is fine too.

• Like 1