How does Unraid handle moving drives connected to motherboard to a SATA card?

I have an asrock motherboard with miniSAS and support for an amazing 12 drives. 

I am moving to a new motherboard to get dual Xeon support for Plex transcodes but can’t find any motherboard with same amount of native drive support without costing a fortune. 

So instead I’m looking at getting the seemingly highly recommended LSI 9211-8i which should give me enough drive support since my case supports up to 12 drives anyways. (8 with LSI -+ whatever is supported on motherboard). 

Question is how I handle the migration. Can I just swap motherboard with be CPUs, addon the LSI card and connect drives? Or am I going to be caught with something crazy config wise?

15 minutes ago, tmchow said:

I’m looking at getting the seemingly highly recommended LSI 9211-8i

You'll have to flash it to IT mode if it doesn't come like that.  https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/12114-lsi-controller-fw-updates-irit-modes/

15 minutes ago, tmchow said:

Can I just swap motherboard with be CPUs, addon the LSI card and connect drives? Or am I going to be caught with something crazy config wise?

Should be plug and play.  But, never hurts to take a screen shot of your drive assignments (and back up the flash drive) just in case the old controller and the new one name the drives slightly differently.

Edited by Squid
  • Like 2

I've moved the same array configuration across six different motherboard/controller configurations without any negative impact.

You can find pre-flashed 9211's from this guy:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-IT-Mode-Genuine-LSI-9211-8i-SAS-SATA-8-port-PCI-E-Card-Bulk-pack-US-Seller/291641245650?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I've had three from him so far without any issues and I believe I found the recommendation for this seller through another post here on the unRAID forums.

• Like 1