Documentation, Docker, Plugins

izzno

Hi (again)

We've began experimenting with a trial run and since i am new to docker I have som basic questions.

• Can we run any docker from the docker hub, or does it have to be tailored for unRAID? Is there any documentation on how to tailor for unRAID (So I can make/convert some Dockers for our need). Any documentation you can link to would be great!
  • When looking at: https://wiki.lime-technology.com/Plugins there are several year old plugins, am I right in assuming most use docker instead? What was / is plugins compared to Docker?
  • Documentation seems a bit lacking / old for a payed service (No offence!), is this maintained. Or maybe Im just looking in the wrong page? An example would be I found that unRAID automatically made a 21GB docker image on the cache disk. (Fine, but took me some time to figure out :) ).
  • Can we access a CLI to pass variables to docker?

Docker questions:

• Is there a docker gateway for unRAID (Force connections through a VPN)

And finally what are your thoughts around LXC, have you thought about implementing this? 

I really like the storage part / functions of unRAID, unlike anything. Great work!

Edited by izzno
15 minutes ago, izzno said:

Can we run any docker from the docker hub, or does it have to be tailored for unRAID?

Any will work (so long as they use 64 bit binaries)

That's an ancient list.  This is the only list you need to look at prior to purchasing / trying out unRaid: https://rawgit.com/Squidly271/AppsThread/master/forumpost0.html   which contains all plugins / docker applications currently available through Community Applications   The docker applications are the ones "optimized" for unRaid, and the plugins are the ones which are still available / maintained and compatible.  If you are running unRaid, then simply go to the apps tab (after you've installed CA)

am I right in assuming most use docker instead?

Yes

What was / is plugins compared to Docker?

Plugins run directly on unRaid whereas docker containers are in an isolated environment.  Plugins are only recommended for things that enhance the OS itself rather than an add-on application.

Documentation seems a bit lacking / old for a payed service (No offence!), is this maintained. Or maybe Im just looking in the wrong page?

https://wiki.lime-technology.com/Official_Documentation 

Can we access a CLI to pass variables to docker?

Sure.  No different than any other linux OS.  But, via the GUI you can add in any particular variables / parameters to the docker run command you need

Edited by Squid
  • Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, izzno said:

Is there a docker gateway for unRAID (Force connections through a VPN)

OpenVPN client plugin which forces all traffic through a VPN.  Alternatively there are many docker applications available via CA that have a VPN version which forces their traffic through a VPN such as PIA etc.

Edited by Squid
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for your answers. Turns out docker is a "walk in the park" and with your integration it makes everything very convenient!

For transferring data from the old NFS system we opted for ftp via the FileZilla docker. 

But! This is very slow! it maxes out on about 10mbps and has taken days! Is this the write speed to expect or is there a known issue of some sort?

Edited by izzno