calibre safe setup

rutherford

seems like opening up a port to calibre is a horrible idea - even with a username/password and a letsencrypt certificate. Anyone have a calibre server type of setup that works well?

I started getting into Calibre-server, and lazylibrarian-calibre but it seems that I'm spiraling down a blackhole of configuration paths and docker paths.

How about making the DB available, and connecting a regular Calibre desktop client to a remote database? I haven't tried that option yet. Then transferring books to the kindle via usb.

I also want to be able to get mobi's to my kindle without sending them through the @amazon email account, which seems like a horrible idea. Using the Experimental Browser on the kindle paperwhite has been good, but I have to open a port on the router each time, do the browsing and downloading, then close the port again right away. Not too horrible, but a bit of a hassle. Be nicer if it was always on.

Here's my setup:

1. LL to download books and books are left in an import folder for Calibre to import and LL shares the Calibre library
  2. RDP-Calibre imports the books and I use to tidy-up metadata etc
  3. calibre-web is a very nice front-end to download and browse books and allows multiple users to track their reading progress e.g. I've created accounts for my kids, family and friends.  calibre-web is accessible via the web via LE, so no need to open a port.

Very easy one-time setup and it's working well for me.  

I don't find sending via the amazon address a problem - although I can appreciate there might be privacy concerns.

59e476ea82514_FireShotCapture24-Highlander_UpdateContainer_-http___172_30_12.2_Docker_UpdateContainer.thumb.png.a5566a4725a89a8b90007c4caa0a984d.png

59e4773651906_FireShotCapture25-Highlander_UpdateContainer_-http___172_30_12.2_Docker_UpdateContainer.thumb.png.82a084024903e3dbc4dd08baffdedbb7.png

59e476fe5fe41_FireShotCapture26-Highlander_UpdateContainer_-http___172_30_12.2_Docker_UpdateContainer.thumb.png.f3dd1446efb5a3c31e049a5820bf6885.png

#calibre-web

location /books {
                proxy_bind              $server_addr;
                proxy_pass              http://172.30.12.2:8086;
                proxy_set_header        Host            $http_host;
                proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
                proxy_set_header        X-Scheme        $scheme;
                proxy_set_header        X-Script-Name   /books;
        }

• Upvote 1

no problem.  I agree books (and music) don't have the same slick dockers like tv shows and movies, but this setup is working better for me than music where headphones does my head in. 

Yes, I have to use 3 apps but I barely have to use LL other than to add a new author, and I open RDP-Calibre maybe once a month or so to process books as they go into the library to ensure I don't end up with an unmanageable metadata mess further down the line.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

finally got around to implementing this stuff. I'd like to add a couple of setup things, and please correct me if I'm off base.

Lazylibrarian does not do the calibredb importing, that's done automatically in the RDP-Calibre docker. Lazylibrarian does have access to some downloads-import forlder, in my case /mnt/user/downloads/books > /downloads

Go into RDP-Calibre GUI, Add Books > Control the Adding of Books > Automatic Adding (tab)

RDP-Calibre has access to

/mnt/user/downloads/books > /downloads

/mnt/user/calibre > /calibre-library

I still feel like emailing mobi's through kindle.com isn't the wisest thing to do! So I'll also install calibre-web and get them over via Experimental Browser. Thanks again @DZMM

well, maybe I spoke too soon here for "it's all working."

I see in LL > Settings > Processing it's got a few fields in there. When LL finds something via usenet or torrents, it will send it over to SAB or Transmission (torrent client). But Transmission doesn't support labels. So, they will go to the default download directory. Torrent client handles other stuff other than books! So, how would I setup that post-processing bit?

ll settings processing.png

calibre auto-add.png

2 hours ago, dkerlee said:

Transmission doesn't support labels. So, they will go to the default download directory. Torrent client handles other stuff other than books! So, how would I setup that post-processing bit?

Try Deluge or qBittorrent which both support labels - I've used both with LL with no problems

• Upvote 1