New Case/montherboard concerns...

Joey Macaraeg

Hello,

I''m getting a new server case and will be transferring my current unRaid system into it. .  I currently have 7 drives in my current unRaid case and everything appears to be working nicely.  My concern is..

Once I have the drives and motherboard in the new server case, if i mistakenly plug one of my drives into a different sata port on the motherboard, will it break the array?

or does the config in unRaid look at the serial numbers of the drive and determine where it belongs.

Old Case: Fractal node 804 case

New server Case: istarusa d-400-6 ($68 after promo code)  (will be adding 10+ hotswap drives to it)

Joey

unRaid newb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My initial plan was to move the original i5 motherboard to the new case.  However, I chose to do an upgrade to my Ryzen 5 1600 that was currently being used for my plex services.   The hardware transplant worked easily..no issues.  Plex is now running on a VM in my unraid system.  The linux VM is installed on the cache drive.  Stability seems to be a concern right now.

I did take pictures of my unraid config and took my time on moving each drive to the hotswap drives in the new case.

IstarUsa D400 (smaller than I thought)

2 x SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B

Joey 

IMG_20171118_085443935.jpg