Western Digital Stuns Storage Industry with MAMR Breakthrough for Next-Gen HDDs - 40TB Drives by 2025

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11925/western-digital-stuns-storage-industry-with-mamr-breakthrough-for-nextgen-hdds

Yesterday, Western Digital announced a breakthrough in microwave-assisted magnetic recording (MAMR) that completely took the storage industry by surprise. The takeaway was that Western Digital would be using MAMR instead of HAMR for driving up hard drive capacities over the next decade.

Western Digital sees plenty of value in MAMR, and it is not hard to see why. MAMR technology allows for the bit densities of individual platters to scale to more than 4 Tb/sq.in. WD believes that it is well-positioned to bring 40TB drives by 2025 using MAMR alone.

Edited by johnnie.black
  • Like 1
HaHa yeah especially when one shits the bed right out of warranty unlikely these things will be cheap

MAMR Price will be similar to PMR drives if you believe WD as it’s heavily based on PMR with a small tweak. Whereas HAMR was a completely different architecture and highly costly to re tool for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 minute ago, miniwalks said:

MAMR Price will be similar to PMR drives if you believe WD as it’s heavily based on PMR with a small tweak. Whereas HAMR was a completely different architecture and highly costly to re tool for.

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of not cheap and a hell of a lot of lost data if it is a catastrophic failure

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of not cheap and a hell of a lot of lost data if it is a catastrophic failure

Yeah, higher capacity drives are causing more problems for RAID and other Parity systems than anything at the moment.

My 8TB drives took 17hrs flat out to do a rebuild, fortunately I don’t run any arrays with less than Dual Parity, whether it’s UnRAID with Dual Parity or RaidZ2 or even RaidZ3 for my critical data

50 minutes ago, miniwalks said:

Yeah, higher capacity drives are causing more problems for RAID and other Parity systems than anything at the moment.

My 8TB drives took 17hrs flat out to do a rebuild, fortunately I don’t run any arrays with less than Dual Parity, whether it’s UnRAID with Dual Parity or RaidZ2 or even RaidZ3 for my critical data

Wow I'll have to keep that in mind I was thinking of moving to higher capacity drives based on the price of shucking one of those external units for its drive but I also would like to have redundancy and add a second parity drive, will probably up my license and just continue to build on what I have will be interesting to hear others regarding these larger drives and their experiences with them, will see!

2 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Something tells me it will be a long time before we see 8TB drives for 64 dollars. New 1TB drives are still selling for 40-50.

Price per TB favors the larger devices, e.g. currently a 8TB disk is about $25/TB while like you pointed out a 1TB disk is twice that, so if in 2025 a 40TB disk is $8/TB a 5 or 6TB disk should be twice that, so around $100.