32-bit VM

jmbrnt

I have searched the forums for this, and unfortunately come up empty. 

I am trying to run a KVM VM for Junos Firefly (vSRX). It runs as a 32-bit BSD machine under virtualbox on my mac, but I can't get it to go at all on Unraid 6.3.0. I *think* this is because 32bit VMs have been disabled or removed from Unraid 6x, but I would just like a confirmation for my sanity (and if any exists, a solution/workaround).

Thanks

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

Have you tried the vSRX KVM version?

Yes, but as that's Junos 15.x it requires a heck of a lot more RAM (minimum 4GB per instance). I actually have other issues with that, in that it fails to boot correctly but that is a troubleshooting endeavour for another day. The great thing about the Firefly/Junos 12 version of vSRX is it only requires 512MB RAM per instance, so I can run my whole JNCIE lab without needing to juggle my household VMs (or buy a new motherboard)..

Thanks for the thought! 

Edited by jmbrnt
32 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I run a 32-bit copies of Windows and MacOS under KVM 0n unRAID so it seems 32-bit VMs are possible.   As far as I know the restriction to 64-bit only applies to linux binaries running natively under unRAID.

Ah.. This gives me some hope - is there perhaps some way I can install a 32bit (err, my knowledge is at the limit here).. thingy?) that I could trick my BSD binary into running with? 

17 minutes ago, jmbrnt said:

Ah.. This gives me some hope - is there perhaps some way I can install a 32bit (err, my knowledge is at the limit here).. thingy?) that I could trick my BSD binary into running with? 

I would think that as long as you select a 32-bit installation option it should work.

However there might be another (easier) way which is to just use the ,vdi file from VirtualBox on the mac under KVM on unRAID   It is not obvious, but KVM can handle VirtualBox .vdi vdisk files directly on unRAID (as well as a number of other common vdisk formats) - you just have to type the vdisk filename in manually as vdi files are not supported as selectable files via the GUI.  If you go this route then make sure you presumably will not have vfio drivers installed in the image so make sure you specify SATA (or IDE if appropriate) for the vdisk file 

Edited by itimpi

One thing I have noticed - on Virtualbox, when I remove the Serial Port, the VM doesn't boot properly - and ends up in the same state as the attempt on Unraid - with the message "BTX Loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.02". 

I have tried to ensure a serial is included in my XML, but the changes I make don't seem to stick..

I add this:

<serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/3'/>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>

But it doesn't persist in the XML - which I guess means I am doing something it doesn't like.

Edited by jmbrnt
1 hour ago, jmbrnt said:

One thing I have noticed - on Virtualbox, when I remove the Serial Port, the VM doesn't boot properly - and ends up in the same state as the attempt on Unraid - with the message "BTX Loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.02". 

I have tried to ensure a serial is included in my XML, but the changes I make don't seem to stick..

I add this:

<serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>

But it doesn't persist in the XML - which I guess means I am doing something it doesn't like.

Are you editing the VM settings after you edit the XML file?  If so that will clear any edits you made to the XML directly.  I had to install a floppy to my WFW3.11 VM in order to install DOS 6.22 and WFW3.11.  To do that I edited the XML file directly.  It was persistent so not sure what your problem is if you are not editing the VM settings after you edit the XML - sorry.

Edited by BobPhoenix
9 hours ago, BobPhoenix said:

Are you editing the VM settings after you edit the XML file?  If so that will clear any edits you made to the XML directly.  I had to install a floppy to my WFW3.11 VM in order to install DOS 6.22 and WFW3.11.  To do that I edited the XML file directly.  It was persistent so not sure what your problem is if you are not editing the VM settings after you edit the XML - sorry.

Nope - straight 'Edit XML' -> update -> power up VM.. Still a mystery, but I suspect the syntax I am using for setting a serial interface is wrong, so the XML parser is just chucking it out. 

1 hour ago, BobPhoenix said:

They are stored in the libvirt.img along with all your other VMs and mounted by unRAID to access.

Cool, thanks. I have moved to using 

<serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/3'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>

Which does appear to persist, I have also changed to a FreeBSD template, incase that made a difference - but so far still no joy. Still persisting, though :) 

Edited by jmbrnt
Yes that is the OS that WFW3.11 runs on.  WFW 3.11 was 8 bit.  Windows 95 was supposed to be 16 bit but was accused of having 8 bit underlying code.
*shiver* oh god this makes me think of memmaker, how I hated managing memory, then there was qemm ahh the err good? Old days

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, binhex said:

*shiver* oh god this makes me think of memmaker, how I hated managing memory, then there was qemm ahh the err good? Old days emoji16.png

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Netroom 3.0 was my favorite (and best - it gave the most free upper memory of all of them) but I also used 386Max, QEMM and MS's EMM386.

Edited by BobPhoenix